Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting back to N64...

5 posters

Go down

Getting back to N64... Empty Getting back to N64...

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Recently, I got into the mood to play good ol' N64 games again.
However, due the fact that all of my controllers have worn out control sticks, it has become kind off unplayable.

Which is why I have been considering to get a new controller.
And while I am at it, why not buy some N64 classics that I have missed?

Here is what I am considering to buy.

- Super Pad 64 (from Interact)
- Controller Pack (need a second one, since they kinda have low space.)
- Expansion Pack (Required for some games)

As for games:
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (Have the second and third part of the 64-trilogy. Might as well complete the roster)
- Extreme G (I have the second game, but not the superior original.)
- Pilotwings 64
- Blast Corps
- Donkey Kong 64
- Goldeneye 64
- Multi Racing Championship (I know everyone hates it. Cannot understand why tho.)
- Mischief Makers
- Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA
- Top Gear Rally

Is there anything else you can recommend?
Feel free to post your ideas. Extra Smile
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Getting back to N64... Empty Re: Getting back to N64...

Post by ShantaeVocaloid Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:15 pm

I personally recommend "Glover". I have some great memories of that game - even though I only played it for like 10 minutes. XD
ShantaeVocaloid
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

: *blub blub* :3

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:27 pm

I have it.

And you're right, it's an awesome game. Extra Smile
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:30 pm

Totally recommend DK64! My sis and I loved that game to pieces back in the day. Lots of good memories on Multiplayer and in Story mode. ^o^ And it comes with a port of the original arcade version of Donkey Kong, (Beats the NES version, easy, IMO. Better sound, framerate, and an extra level!) and another arcade game I can't remember the name of, but it was fun too. I swear, DK64 looked better than some Dreamcast games, and emulators just can't play it right at all anyway; you're better off finding the original.

And since you plan on grabbing an expansion pack, I'd totally get Majora's Mask. It looks so much crisper and brighter on the orginal hardware! Emulators are nice, but the colors just aren't the same. MM might be the "weirdest" Zelda out there, but it's still a fun experience, IMO. Haha, I'm getting the urge to play it right now. =P

Oh, and I had a Superpad back in the day too. It's a great controller, and the analog stick actually uses a potentiometer instead of infrared like a mouse, so it won't wear out as easily. It's sad how quickly the lubicrant in official N64 controllers dry out, it's a pain to fix that. ;_; Just know the Superpad's design takes a bit of getting used to, it was really awkward playing Mario Kart 64 for me with that thing. XD

Do you have Mario Kart 64, btw? You're missing out if you do! Multiplayer lags like crazy in 4 player splitscreen and has no music, but 1 or 2 player modes are pretty smooth and super fun. (Plus the CG sprites haven't aged as badly as the 3D models in Crash Kart Racing. =P) Battle mode especially was the best on that game, and MKDS, IMO.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:41 pm

I too used to play DK64. But it was burrowed.
It's a great game.

As for Majoras Mask, I have it for both Gamecube and Virtual Console. So no need for me to get that a third time. Wink

And OF COURSE I have Mario Kart 64. It was one of the very first games I got.

I just hope the Super Pad Control Stick lasts longer than the regular ones.
It's just staggering how easily they wear out, making the console absolutely unplayable.
I just hope the Super Pad can fix that issue.
As for the design: Well, it looks a little like the Gamecube controller, so it shouldn't be hard to get used to it. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:32 pm

Trust me, the Zelda Collection on GC doesn't capture that sharpness as well! (The video is handled in OpenGL without any filters, so the look isn't as gritty.) Although I do remember the timed Brawl Demo of OoT having a video filter that emulated the TV look perfectly, so yeah, you might not have to buy it a third time just for the authentic look and feel of the original. XD

As for the Superpad, try looking for some photos of the thing from behind, it's nothing like a Gamecube controller! The grip behind the D-Pad has a ridiculously larger base than the other side of the controller, and the Z button is tiny and in a funny spot. It's still a great controller, but I can guarantee you'll be puzzled as how to hold it properly when you take it out of the box! XD

And it does last longer since the analog stick is made with potentiometers, like Playstation or XBOX controllers use, as opposed to greesecaked sleds and gears grinding around an infrared laser. Oh, and you can always buy replacement sticks for official controllers too. They're actually a seperate module inside the controller that connects to the main PCB with a ribbon cable. All you have to do is take the controller's backplate off with a screwdriver, pop out the old module and plug in the new one. They're fairly cheap too, last I checked.

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:And OF COURSE I have Mario Kart 64. It was one of the very first games I got.

That's kinda funny because it's the first game my parents bought for their N64 back in 97. I'll always remember how stupid I was in-front of the game at first! It was the first time I ever saw an analog stick, (Didn't get a PSX until 2000.) so it was totally new to me. Actually held forward for the gas pedal. :# You'd think playing Super Mario Kart would have prepared me, but it didn't. XD
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:48 pm

.Luke wrote:Trust me, the Zelda Collection on GC doesn't capture that sharpness as well! (The video is handled in OpenGL without any filters, so the look isn't as gritty.) Although I do remember the timed Brawl Demo of OoT having a video filter that emulated the TV look perfectly, so yeah, you might not have to buy it a third time just for the authentic look and feel of the original. XD
Meh, it looks fine to me either way.
I am not so picky than other people here.

But I do admit, Majoras Mask looks better on Virtual Console.

As for the Superpad, try looking for some photos of the thing from behind, it's nothing like a Gamecube controller! The grip behind the D-Pad has a ridiculously larger base than the other side of the controller, and the Z button is tiny and in a funny spot. It's still a great controller, but I can guarantee you'll be puzzled as how to hold it properly when you take it out of the box! XD
Still, it looks better than the First-Party Controller to me.

And it does last longer since the analog stick is made with potentiometers, like Playstation or XBOX controllers use, as opposed to greesecaked sleds and gears grinding around an infrared laser. Oh, and you can always buy replacement sticks for official controllers too. They're actually a seperate module inside the controller that connects to the main PCB with a ribbon cable. All you have to do is take the controller's backplate off with a screwdriver, pop out the old module and plug in the new one. They're fairly cheap too, last I checked.
That's good to know.
So I can play for a long time to come. Extra Smile

That's kinda funny because it's the first game my parents bought for their N64 back in 97. I'll always remember how stupid I was in-front of the game at first! It was the first time I ever saw an analog stick, (Didn't get a PSX until 2000.) so it was totally new to me. Actually held forward for the gas pedal. :# You'd think playing Super Mario Kart would have prepared me, but it didn't. XD
Uh, okay... o_O
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Hey, I was seven at the time! XD But yeah, probably should've just left it at "it was my first N64 game too." kinda thing. :# Didn't have to mention I spun out of control like an idiot on my first try.

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:Meh, it looks fine to me either way.
I am not so picky than other people here.

But I do admit, Majoras Mask looks better on Virtual Console.

Not a reference to me, is it? =P I'm not so much being picky here, just suggesting what will make the experience feel more classic if you're going for the original carts. But you already have that on the VC, so there's no point in it.

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:Still, it looks better than the First-Party Controller to me.

It does look more purposeful, the left grip on most first-party controllers never get any wear! I can only think of two N64 games that actually put the d-pad to good use; don't know any others besides Pokemon Stadium and Yoshi Story.

EDIT : And you've totally gotta check out Pokemon Snap! It's a pretty fun game I still regret selling, and the only way to play it right still is with the original cartridge. Emulators kinda screw up on the VRAM part of the picture taking gimmick and makes it impossible to progress.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:14 pm

.Luke wrote:Hey, I was seven at the time! XD But yeah, probably should've just left it at "it was my first N64 game too." kinda thing. :# Didn't have to mention I spun out of control like an idiot on my first try.
You're one strange, little guy. Eh? :/

Not a reference to me, is it? =P I'm not so much being picky here, just suggesting what will make the experience feel more classic if you're going for the original carts. But you already have that on the VC, so there's no point in it.
Exactly.

It does look more purposeful, the left grip on most first-party controllers never get any wear! I can only think of two N64 games that actually put the d-pad to good use; don't know any others besides Pokemon Stadium and Yoshi Story.
Agreed. I never used the left grip anyways.

EDIT : And you've totally gotta check out Pokemon Snap! It's a pretty fun game I still regret selling, and the only way to play it right still is with the original cartridge. Emulators kinda screw up on the VRAM part of the picture taking gimmick and makes it impossible to progress.
Already have it. It was alright.
Though it felt like it lacked content.
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:32 am

My memory is kinda fuzzy on how many levels it had. All I remember is throwing apples at Pikachu and questioning why half of the creatures coming into view weren't attacking me. =P

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:You're one strange, little guy. Eh? :/

Who you calling little, I'm 5.8ft! =P Well, now that I think about it, there's a good chance you're taller than me, and you're older than I am anyway, so I'll just leave it at that. :#
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:19 am

Well, it only had a small amount of the 150 Pokemon.
Don't get me wrong, it was a nice game.
But without all 150, it just felt kinda incomplete to me. ^^;

Who you calling little, I'm 5.8ft! =P Well, now that I think about it, there's a good chance you're taller than me, and you're older than I am anyway, so I'll just leave it at that. :#
Dunno how big that is. We're not using ft over here. :/
But either way, you came off as kinda young to me so far. That's about it really...
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:45 am

Oh, should've just said 1.7m. Here I am trying to use the universal metric system more frequently and state my height in English .ft on an international message board. XD (I really don't know why the states don't adopt that over here, it's so much easier to use and involves way less fractions, ugh.)

But yeah, I still act pretty silly for my age sometimes. Random people always assumed my sis was really the older sibling for a reason. =P

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:Well, it only had a small amount of the 150 Pokemon.
Don't get me wrong, it was a nice game.
But without all 150, it just felt kinda incomplete to me. ^^;

Oh, I see what you mean; some Pokemon games do feel a little empty with a whole gen starring in it, at least. It seemed okay for Hey You Pikachu!, though, since the main character only visits certain areas near his house, like the woods.

By the way, have you seen Lego Racers on the N64? It's pretty hilarious, and it runs at a smooth 60FPS too, even in the cutscenes. I loved being able to build my own vehicles and drivers. Sigh, yet another great game I regret selling. ;_; Oh, and it needs the memory card, but the game lets you switch out to the rumble pack before the race starts!
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Some of the more obscure N64 games I remember enjoying were Snowboard Kids 1&2, and Iggy's Wreckin' Balls,
a good group of racers.

SBK is basically Mario Kart on snowboards, though a little more tame due to races being with groups of 4.
There are the occasional parts especially on late courses and challenges where skill tends to take a backseat to luck,
but it's never worse than the average Mario Kart. Speaking of which, you can actually REFLECT weapons shot at you
in SBK 2 with a well-timed board grab. You don't know how many times I wish I could do that to a blue shell...

Iggy's Wreckin' Balls was a rental so I don't recall quite as much about it, but I clearly remember it's unique gimmick of
being a 2D platformer racing game. I also recall it being deceptively challenging later on, despite all the cute and quirky sphere-shaped racers, eheh.

Not sure if you're into wrestling, but WWF No Mercy is also pretty solid.
My brother got me to try (and enjoy) it, and I wasn't even into fighting games much back then.
Loads of wrestlers, match types, unlockables, and a deep story mode.
Word of warning: try to find a later-print copy that isn't bugged: those could randomly erase your hard-earned Smackdown Dollars :x

And if you can get past the Pokemon paintjob, Pokemon Puzzle League is another great game.
A reboot of Tetris Attack / Panel de Pon with plenty of different modes and challenges.

...now you're making ME wanna dig out my N64, eheh. Though my controller's stick has started to take it's toll.
A SuperPad, you say? Might have to look into those. It wouldn't be the first time I've come to prefer a third-party
controller over the official product (MadCatz XBox Pad "It's got an actual pad!" TM)
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12 am

Yeah, I got the first Snowboard Kids. It's a great game! Extra Smile
The second one was never released over here tho...

I also heard about Iggy's Reckin Balls. Seems solid!

And no, I am not into Wrestling. So that is out of the picture for me.
I am no fan of those puzzle games either. Except for Tetris maybe.
So I might check out Tetrisphere. Wink

Yup. A Super Pad. Razz
Just be sure that it's the one from Interact.
Since there are two different third-party controllers with the same name.
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:13 pm

One game I always loved when I was younger was Megaman 64, and yes I do know that the sequels are PSX Exclusive, but I thought it was worth mentioning because it was one of my earliest 64 games.

For its time, the games was at least to me a very well done jump from 2D to 3D, as well as the entire story and environment being great.
BossFight
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

: DINE AND DITCH!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:23 am

ME bumping this topic!
Cuz, I FINALLY ORDERED GAMES AND A SUPER PAD 64!

And this day, the first package already arrived.
With Pilotwings 64, Mystical Ninja: starring Goemon and Chameleon Twist.
And the Super Pad 64 was also in the package.
More packages will arrive later.

I did order these N64 games and add-on's along with the WII U.
Which I couldn't buy in the stores on the release-day, since by the time I got into the stores after work, they were already all gone.

And they won't get their stocks refilled until 12TH DECEMBER!!!
Urgh...

But with these games, I shall have a way to pass the time. Extra Smile
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:36 am

Nice Get! Sounds like you're all ret-2-go retro, eheh.
I must be the only person at this point without a Wii U: as amazing as it looks, I just haven't felt the urge to add even more systems to my collection at this time. I still enjoy all my older games, which I already have more than enough of. No matter how old a game gets, if it's still fun to play, then it's still fun to play.
So go on, enjoy that old-school cool Cool
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm glad you were able to get a hold of a SuperPad, those are becoming a little more rare than I'd like these days. XD At least you'll have a nice stock of N64 games to play while you wait on your WiiU. ^^ I hope you weren't overcharged for the system by a scalper.

I'm not surprised the store was sold out, Nintendo systems always disappear instantly around launch, and yet some trolls on GameFAQs would like to believe the system is failing, ha! I would be interested in the system myself, but there's no sign of any Metroid, Mario, Star Fox, Zelda, etc, games for it yet, so I'll pass until the U has a nice library of games to choose from, and plenty of used units at a fair price. =P
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum