Hello, I'm new to the community

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello, I'm new to the community

Post by skyewelse on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm SkyeWelse or Thomas, or "Sky Weasel" <= How some folks choose to pronounce it over XBLive in a Halo match...

Nice to meet you all. I've been meaning to join up on these forums for awhile, but I just have too many hobbies and I am constantly running out of time for various projects. But I have once again caught the Shantae Fever with all the new buzz coming out about the re-release of Shantae on eShop Virtual Console, a possible port of Risky's Revenge on Steam and the news of more Shantae games to be released in the future, even perhaps on a the Wii U. It's a good time to be a Shantae fan. Well, it's always been good to be one, but now it's a GOOD time to be a Shantae fan. Smile

Let's see about me... I was making a Shantae fansite, in a similar vein of the original Cave Story Tribute site (now cavestory.org) which is managed by a friend that I passed everything onto. The name of this site was Shantae.net and I've not had time to work on it as much as I've liked, but I am thinking more about finishing what I started as soon as I can. There's quite a lot of work involved still and a lot of work that needs to be drawn to match the art style of Shantae: Risky's Revenge closely with that of Matt Bozon's original drawings and in vector. I'm also working on doing the same for a Flash Animation / Navigation of Shantae's over the back camera view from the first Shantae game for Scuttle Town and perhaps other areas. Here's a preview using ripped sprites that were crudely cut out ==> http://shantae.net/scuttle_town.html

So yeah, that'll happen. Maybe. I hope.

Outside of that, I'm a hardcore gamer, and mostly a collector. I do have an original of Shantae complete with the box and manual, and yes, I did pay out the nose for it. But it's one of the gems of my collection, so it's worth it.

Oh and I my other hobbies include MSX hardware and software, Anything Falcom (Ys, Xanadu, Legend of Heroes) Panzer Dragoon, Suikoden, Megaman, Metroid and Zelda.

Favorite Game: Suikoden II
Favorite Series: Panzer Dragoon.

Nice to meet you all,

-Thomas
skyewelse
Contributor
Contributor

: In Xanadu

http://www.shantae.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello, I'm new to the community

Post by Nai255 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Aye, welcome aboard.
Always good to meet a fellow Ys fan, too. They seem even rarer than complete copies of Shantae, eheh

Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by skyewelse on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Nai255 wrote:Aye, welcome aboard.
Always good to meet a fellow Ys fan, too. They seem even rarer than complete copies of Shantae, eheh
Haha, there is some truth to that. But there are plenty of us at the Ancient Land of Ys if you ever want to drop by. Probably the largest global English speaking Falcom community.

And yeah, I'm a huge Falcom fan. Gotta catch'em all!

-Thomas

Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Good to see that you finally joined us skye. Smile

We've been in contact for some time now.
It's good to finally do it in a more convenient manner. Extra Smile

Welcome to the Shantae Forums.
Hope you will enjoy your stay. *nods*
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:57 pm

That collection... my word Shocked
Eheh, very nice.

You're on The Backloggery too? I'll drop ya a friend invite

Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Welcome aboard!

And wow, your collection's big. I don't even have that many overall games! XD
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

: *blub blub* :3

Back to top Go down

Post by skyewelse on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It's nice to join a new community for the Shantae series. I'll try to drop by as often as I can and I'll "try" to set aside some time going forward to finish Shantae.net. The goal of the site though, is/was pretty much the same idea as this forum here, and that is to introduce the Shantae series as much as possible so that the "Obscure" next to Game is replaced with "Must-Play". : )

That was the original goal of the Cave Story Tribute Site and it worked then, I'm sure it can work now. Having enough content is important though, things such as Guides and FAQs, Maps of the game, an introduction about the series and it's characters that spells out what Shantae is all about in an "elevator pitch" type scenario with pretty pictures and have it all be offered from a centralized spot on the web.

-Thomas

Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:49 pm

It's cool to have you aboard, Sky, I never would have expected the guy behind Shantae.net to visit our boards. ^_^ And dang that's a huge collection of imports for one series! I figured I would have had bragging rights by importing Pokemon Black, but even that never happened; I can't read Japanese. XD

Anyway, I know how you feel about being a fan, but like you said, that is changing. Even my little cousin became a fan himself a while ago because of RR on his 3DS, the first Shantae is about to hit the Virtual Console, and the idea of RR being ported to the PC for Steam has me almost as excited I was when the first trailers for Twilight Princess were spreading around! It certainly is a good time to be a fan; feels like a downpour in Death Valley. :D
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by skyewelse on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi .Luke,

I should clarify though, all of that is not just from one series, it's the "Falcom Shelf" that contains many interesting original Japanese PC games and other ports of some of the developer, Falcom's best known series.

You see, long ago when the world was created there were three beautiful Godesses that bestowed the blessings of great RPGs upon the mortals lucky enough to discover their treasures. One Goddesses name was "Squaresoft", the Second was "Enix", and the third, "Falcom".

Their treasures spread far and wide across the globe, except for those of the Goddess Falcom, who had lost her wings in a swordfight over who could make the best lettuce wraps, and thus, was unable to spread her wings and fly, and she never left the legendary island of Japan to discover the rest of the world...

And so her treasures mostly remained in the land of her origin, save for a few here and there that were carried over by wandering sea traders. It hasn't been until recent times that Falcom was given Wings again. Badass Mechanical Wings too! And now her treasures are finally starting to become better known in the world.

True story.

Anyhow, most of which are RPGs, many that defined some very unique RPGs for the genre as a whole, some being action-based, others Rogue-like, Platformers like Shantae (Popful Mail and Faxanadu have similar gameplay for example, and some traditional. But their flagship series is the Ys series, which chronicles the adventures of the hero Adol Christin as he sails the Seven Seas looking for his next adventure, and often... well, shipwrecking on an island somewhere. Action RPGs are my thing, same with Zelda which I consider as an action-rpg, so it's that type of adventuring while growing infinitely stronger as you progress in the game that really draw me in to games like Shantae. : )

There's some other great Action RPGs in that shot too, like the Xak series, which is even more obscure than Shantae if you can believe it! I made a site for that series awhile back and I think I've gotten a total of maybe 10, no 11 emails about the series! Success! Extra Smile

And you should take Japanese lessons. Japanese is easy! Except for the times when it isn't. Like, seriously!

-Thomas

Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum