Advantages of a Small Fan Community

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am

Alright, so I was watching a Jerma985 video - this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/Jerma985 - and I was thinking about the Shantae series, how it has a small but firm fanba--a-actually, I shouldn't even say "fanbase", more like "fan community". "Fanbase" is now a dirty word. Laughing

Now, back on topic; don't get me wrong, I respect the Shantae fan community (to a point), but I was wondering: What are the positives to a small fan community like Shantae's? And I've been thinking about that, considering how big franchises like Mario and Sonic, et cetera, are frequently very divided when it comes to opinion - for example, which is better: 2D or 3D platforming? Or what characters should be kept or scrapped?

But I digress - now, I can see advantages to being a fan of a smaller series, like Shantae or the Mighty games. For example, a small community is more tightly knit, more united, and easier to agree and reason with (to a certain extent). In bigger franchise communities like Sonic, you don't have that same tightly-knit group, the fans are more easily divided and they sometimes argue with themselves, to the point where some fans often choose to try and ignore all the self-destruction and just go their own path, such as myself (and yes, I've been a Sonic fan since the GCN era, but again I digress).

This is one of the reasons why sometimes I feel like forcing the Shantae fan community to grow is not such a good idea as other people may think: because - and this will happen - sooner or later, you're going to find fans arguing with themselves and dividing the fan community, and eventually it's going to turn into a massive pile of segregated chaos.

So what are your thoughts? What are other advantages to a smaller community like this (if any), and do you at all agree with what I say? Do you have any counterpoints? Why is building up the community a good idea? Go ahead, discuss; I'm all ears.
-SSV
avatar
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

  : *blub blub* :3
Posts : 169
Age : 23
Location : Water Town, Sequin Land
Join date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by .Luke on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 pm

We're by no means trying to force it to grow, or even expect these forums themselves to eventually expand to 100+ daily users. (Would be nice, IMO, but I'll keep my feet nailed to the floor.) The whole point was to unite the Shantae fanbase, because it's so small and scattered everywhere, it could use some places on the web for centralized communication about the series.

While there's a good chance a fan game and a new forum skin will attract more daily activity, which I think would be beneficial to us in the long run, but personally, I'm above expecting it to reach the level of the SRB2 boards, and that would be a bad thing anyway, in my opinion. The afforementioned community is constantly plagued with the bulk of the drivel in the Sonic fan base, (Hailing mostly from Youtube.) so no matter what the staff tries, it's all they can do to play damage control instead of outright prevention of a lot of drama. Even visual smilies were disabled because some members abused them that much! I think the complex entry system setup on places like Sonic Retro prevent most of that drivel from even getting the chance to post, and allows for more of the tight-knit feel you're interested in, ShantaeVocaloid. Let us hope we never have to resort to setuping up anything like that.

I'm perfectly comfortable with a tight-knit community myself, but when key members of a circle vanish from the scene, there's a higher chance it will die off quickly, so new faces are always more than welcome; it would be wrong of us to form a "click" that nobody else can join in on.

Also, is "fanbase" becoming a dirty word? =P The term has been thrown around quite negatively toward other fanbases on my part, I'll admit. :#
avatar
.Luke
Retired Staff

  : Site Bird Trainer
Posts : 991
Age : 27
Location : United States
Join date : 2012-05-22

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:43 pm

.Luke wrote:We're by no means trying to force it to grow, or even expect these forums themselves to eventually expand to 100+ daily users. (Would be nice, IMO, but I'll keep my feet nailed to the floor.) The whole point was to unite the Shantae fanbase, because it's so small and scattered everywhere, it could use some places on the web for centralized communication about the series.

Ahh, I see. Sorry, for the misunderstanding, then. Razz

.Luke wrote:While there's a good chance a fan game and a new forum skin will attract more daily activity, which I think would be beneficial to us in the long run, but personally, I'm above expecting it to reach the level of the SRB2 boards, and that would be a bad thing anyway, in my opinion. The afforementioned community is constantly plagued with the bulk of the drivel in the Sonic fan base, (Hailing mostly from Youtube.) so no matter what the staff tries, it's all they can do to play damage control instead of outright prevention of a lot of drama. Even visual smilies were disabled because some members abused them that much! I think the complex entry system setup on places like Sonic Retro prevent most of that drivel from even getting the chance to post, and allows for more of the tight-knit feel you're interested in, ShantaeVocaloid. Let us hope we never have to resort to setuping up anything like that.

Ouch. I see where you're coming from; I honestly had no idea that the Sonic fanbase was that splintered (shocked much?).

Also, "setuping up". :lol!:

.Luke wrote:I'm perfectly comfortable with a tight-knit community myself, but when key members of a circle vanish from the scene, there's a higher chance it will die off quickly, so new faces are always more than welcome; it would be wrong of us to form a "click" that nobody else can join in on.

Hm. Another good point. All of us do have to move on someday, come to think of it; it's not like a community can last forever, unless of course we bring in new blood.

.Luke wrote:Also, is "fanbase" becoming a dirty word? =P The term has been thrown around quite negatively toward other fanbases on my part, I'll admit. :#

This one I'm not too sure about. I guess I was just under the influence of one of Jerma's videos. MASSIVE DERP.

But yeah, I do get where you're getting at. I'm just worried what will happen if the Shantae fanbase starts eating at each other.
avatar
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

  : *blub blub* :3
Posts : 169
Age : 23
Location : Water Town, Sequin Land
Join date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:57 pm

While I see your point, I don't think it's a bad thing for the fanbase to grow.

Big fanbase don't automatically result in a dictatorial, fanatic and insane fanbase.
The Mario fanbase for example is a safely sane one.
You can talk with people there in a normal way, without getting flamed.
True, there are some fanboys in it.
But let's be honest, they are in every fanbase. No matter what.

Though, it's probably this way in the Mario fanbase, because there are barely any bad Mario games.
But oh well...


Of course, we're not trying to boost Shantae on the same level as Mario overnight.
But we actually do have the intention of slowly expanding the fanbase, once it has grown solidary enough.

It's either that or Shantae will be no more. :/
avatar
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Posts : 609
Age : 29
Location : Germany
Join date : 2012-05-23

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:While I see your point, I don't think it's a bad thing for the fanbase to grow.

Big fanbase don't automatically result in a dictatorial, fanatic and insane fanbase.
The Mario fanbase for example is a safely sane one.
You can talk with people there in a normal way, without getting flamed.
True, there are some fanboys in it.
But let's be honest, they are in every fanbase. No matter what.

Though, it's probably this way in the Mario fanbase, because there are barely any bad Mario games.
But oh well...


Of course, we're not trying to boost Shantae on the same level as Mario overnight.
But we actually do have the intention of slowly expanding the fanbase, once it has grown solidary enough.

I didn't say it was a bad thing for the fanbase to grow; I guess I was just a little paranoid is all. ^^;

I'm fine with a slowly growing fanbase, I just wouldn't want to force it. That's what it looked like to me, admittedly; just a few people trying to force Shantae onto unsuspecting people who don't know who she is. Again, slight paranoia.
avatar
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

  : *blub blub* :3
Posts : 169
Age : 23
Location : Water Town, Sequin Land
Join date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by BossFight on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:26 pm

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether the amount of active fans is high or low as far as heated debates go. It's all on the type of series or game.

Mario was a very good example of a level-headed fanbase, mainly because all games are in essence about the same formula every time.

Now, put down the term "Final Fantasy," and it's war. Why? Because every single game in the series is an entirely different story and even different gameplay. It's just so heated because all games are still uunder the same title.
avatar
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

  : DINE AND DITCH!!!
Posts : 191
Age : 24
Location : Earth
Join date : 2012-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:38 am

BossFight wrote:In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether the amount of active fans is high or low as far as heated debates go. It's all on the type of series or game.

Mario was a very good example of a level-headed fanbase, mainly because all games are in essence about the same formula every time.

Now, put down the term "Final Fantasy," and it's war. Why? Because every single game in the series is an entirely different story and even different gameplay. It's just so heated because all games are still uunder the same title.

Ahh, Final Fantasy. Of course. How could I look over that series?

Maybe because it has the same basic fanbase as Sonic.

So I didn't mention it.
avatar
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

  : *blub blub* :3
Posts : 169
Age : 23
Location : Water Town, Sequin Land
Join date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by .Luke on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:23 am

I don't know anything about the Final Fantasy fanbase, but BossFight makes a pretty good point. Although Mario has found his way into many more genres than just platformers, the "core" titles don't do much to mess with what's already established while still finding new ways to make the player experience as exciting as the last entry. (We can hope that if WayForward ever plays around with multiple genres for Shantae, they will find a similar balance.) Final Fantasy is quite the opposite with its many alternate universes and game play mechanics, so by automation the fanbase will be splintered with RPG lovers, action junkies, and MMO players, which is something that hasn't crossed my mind until now. Because of all that, personally, I barely even know where to begin as far as diving into the series goes. =P (I tried FFIV before, though, but it was a cheesy grindfest all the way through, blegh!)

Your fears are not misplaced, ShantaeVocaloid. There's nothing wrong with wondering what's in store for the future if our direction was gimped in such a way. Thinking ahead helps us prepare for anything better.

ShantaeVocaloid wrote:Also, "setuping up". :lol!:

Oops. :# Firefox's spellchecker on Linux doesn't like Forumotion for whatever reason, so I can easily miss more obvious typos like that. I mean, I can live without spellcheck just fine, but derps like that are harder to avoid without it!
avatar
.Luke
Retired Staff

  : Site Bird Trainer
Posts : 991
Age : 27
Location : United States
Join date : 2012-05-22

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:52 pm

.Luke wrote:Your fears are not misplaced, ShantaeVocaloid. There's nothing wrong with wondering what's in store for the future if our direction was gimped in such a way. Thinking ahead helps us prepare for anything better.

*phew* Glad to know I'm not alone on this one. Thanks, you guys. Extra Smile
avatar
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

  : *blub blub* :3
Posts : 169
Age : 23
Location : Water Town, Sequin Land
Join date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by BossFight on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Fortunately, it's most likely that Shantae wouldn't go down the road of Sonic or Final Fantasy. We know WayForward quite well by now, and that anyone who finds they like Shantae as she is currently will certainly still accept anything new they see. Now that doesn't automatically make a good fanbase, but the kind of people that Shantae attracts are mostly level-headed.

Core was a good word for a game series, and whether Shantae moves on to a different style or remains mostly the same, the game's core will certainly keeps its balance.
avatar
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

  : DINE AND DITCH!!!
Posts : 191
Age : 24
Location : Earth
Join date : 2012-05-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:45 am

BossFight wrote:Fortunately, it's most likely that Shantae wouldn't go down the road of Sonic or Final Fantasy. We know WayForward quite well by now, and that anyone who finds they like Shantae as she is currently will certainly still accept anything new they see. Now that doesn't automatically make a good fanbase, but the kind of people that Shantae attracts are mostly level-headed.

Core was a good word for a game series, and whether Shantae moves on to a different style or remains mostly the same, the game's core will certainly keeps its balance.

Glad to know!

I'm sorry I don't have anything more to say; I'm just happy this went over well. Smile
avatar
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

  : *blub blub* :3
Posts : 169
Age : 23
Location : Water Town, Sequin Land
Join date : 2012-05-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by .Luke on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Nothing wrong with that, you had some fears that needed to be addressed and now you're feeling better about it. =P I'm glad we helped ease your doubts. ^^

BossFight makes a good point; I don't think WayForward will do much to change up the basics either, unless the series goes 3D or takes a crack at dancing games. (Which I think would be neat, IMO.) They haven't suggested that any future Shantae games would take off in a new direction, but they're professional game developers and know what they are doing; I won't doubt any serious changes they make until I see it in action for myself. Needless to say, I have faith in them, and partly in the fanbase too, because I'm sure it would be above splintering over small things like other fanbases have, no matter what happens to the series.
avatar
.Luke
Retired Staff

  : Site Bird Trainer
Posts : 991
Age : 27
Location : United States
Join date : 2012-05-22

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by Axol The Axolotl on Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 pm

A large fanbase may have Vocal groups that could say. "we think the first game is way better then Risky's Revenge!"
You know, a broken fanbase.
avatar
Axol The Axolotl
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

  : Skin maker
Posts : 182
Age : 24
Location : Under the docks
Join date : 2013-05-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by .Luke on Tue May 14, 2013 6:49 pm

I don't think it'd be terribly easy for the fanbase to break over the first game and Risky's Revenge; I think most of us agree that both games were amazing experiences, even if a somewhat cliff-hanger ending might have saddened a few fans.

Although with the way Pirate's Curse is looking, the way it plays might spark some disagreements even if the reception is generally a success, which, if we experience any growth in the community by then, I am anticipating.

And in that case, I would be prepared to send out the sharks to stop any childish nonsense, at least in our channels. None of the drivel that flies in the Sonic fanbase is going to be tolerated here, ever. Anybody who can't be mature about what they dislike is getting their posts and/or topics trashed; we can discuss the differences in the games without antagonizing and whining in general.
avatar
.Luke
Retired Staff

  : Site Bird Trainer
Posts : 991
Age : 27
Location : United States
Join date : 2012-05-22

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by Axol The Axolotl on Fri May 17, 2013 12:35 am

I do hear that the bigger a fandom gets the more chance of "fandumb" it will have.
avatar
Axol The Axolotl
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

  : Skin maker
Posts : 182
Age : 24
Location : Under the docks
Join date : 2013-05-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Advantages of a Small Fan Community

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum