Shantae and the Enemy Mine

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shantae and the Enemy Mine

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:45 pm

No, seriously.

Shantae and Risky are teaming up.

Eight words, guys: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for Nintendo 3DS.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=189769
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=189776
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=189775
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

: *blub blub* :3

Back to top Go down

Re: Shantae and the Enemy Mine

Post by Nai255 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:18 pm

Well avast the masts and plunder my booty! What's that out on the horizon?
Why, it's me picking up me own 3DS! ...eheh

Great news, and nice find! I already like where this is going ^ ^
btw, a friend told me Nintendo Power is being retired soon after all these years. Is it true?

Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:26 pm

Nai255 wrote:btw, a friend told me Nintendo Power is being retired soon after all these years. Is it true?
Sadly, yes, Nintendo Power is packing up and heading out after this year. From what I've heard, this is mainly due to the Internet and its endless resource of information.
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:23 am

Sorry for the late reply, I was too busy freaking out over the news. =P

BESTFINDEVERSHANTAEAHASASWORDOMGSQUUEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Er, sorry about that, the news just hit me so suddenly, that's how I reacted on the inside. XD So glad WayForward are putting together a new Shantae game together, let's hope this is a retail and digital release! That would be so epic. ^^ Blows me away that Shantae and Risky are teaming up though, makes me wonder if Risky couldn't control the evil she spawned in the sequel? =P

ShantaeVocaloid wrote:Sadly, yes, Nintendo Power is packing up and heading out after this year. From what I've heard, this is mainly due to the Internet and its endless resource of information.

The really sad part is that Nintedo Power of Europe is still going to continue printing, but not the US branch. It's like nobody at Nintendo of America cared. I mean, even if the Internet already provides us with all the info we wanted, nobody else could have exclusive interviews, funny dialogue, and tons of cool fan art being mailed in all the time. It's sad to see Nintendo Power go, it had a great run. ;__;
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:26 am

Oh Lawd, YES! A new Shantae is always welcome. And... since Shantae is teaming up with Risky, AND using pirate weapons instead of transformations... couldn't a second player join as Risky using said pirate equipment as well? One can only hope!

So... apparently 30 boss-type enemies? That sounds like a lot of fun! Hopefully they'll make it so you can go hunting for them at your leisure... at least in tiers (kind of.) Maybe like the first and easiest five or so you can find without any equipment yet, and then the farther you go you can find more powerful tinkerbosses? Also: twice as large as Risky's Revenge would put the game world at about the same size as the original game, and I like that! Hopefully we see more towns again.

BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

: DINE AND DITCH!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:06 am

.Luke wrote:Sorry for the late reply, I was too busy freaking out over the news. =P

BESTFINDEVERSHANTAEAHASASWORDOMGSQUUEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Er, sorry about that, the news just hit me so suddenly, that's how I reacted on the inside. XD So glad WayForward are putting together a new Shantae game together, let's hope this is a retail and digital release! That would be so epic. ^^
It's alright, man. ^^

Yeah, both a retail and digital release would be awesome. I seriously want to own a physical Shantae game! TT^TT
BossFight wrote:And... since Shantae is teaming up with Risky, AND using pirate weapons instead of transformations... couldn't a second player join as Risky using said pirate equipment as well? One can only hope!
Oh dear Lord, that would be awesome.

MULTIPLAYER SHANTAE. YOU MUST DO THIS, WAYFORWARD. (But if not this game, at least at some point.)

BossFight wrote:Also: twice as large as Risky's Revenge would put the game world at about the same size as the original game, and I like that! Hopefully we see more towns again.
Oh-ho~...guess that makes up for Risky's Revenge's length, then! BTW, speaking of the original game, 2012's almost over and we still haven't seen it on the eShop! What's the holdup?
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:18 am

BossFight wrote:So... apparently 30 boss-type enemies? That sounds like a lot of fun! Hopefully they'll make it so you can go hunting for them at your leisure... at least in tiers (kind of.) Maybe like the first and easiest five or so you can find without any equipment yet, and then the farther you go you can find more powerful tinkerbosses? Also: twice as large as Risky's Revenge would put the game world at about the same size as the original game, and I like that! Hopefully we see more towns again.

Yeah it brings to mind the variety of Metroids you'd hunt down in Metroid II: Return of Samus, which I thought was a neat mechanic. And the overall size of the game feels like it's gonna be just right: not too short like RR, but not so long that it'd feel like a chore playing through multiple times ; )
I still hold out hopes there will be a Dance Parlor of some kind this time around, eheh.

Still a bit sad about Nintendo Power's closure. Though I got rid of most of my NPs during housecleaning, I'll always hang onto the really old ones for nostalgia's sake... or what's left of them

Last edited by Nai255 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot a topic)

Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 pm

I'm kinda hoping for the Dance Parlor too. XD Would be nice if they were put that back into the series, but if they're going to create a larger overworld, who knows all the little things the devs might cram into it? =P

ShantaeVocaloid wrote:Yeah, both a retail and digital release would be awesome. I seriously want to own a physical Shantae game! TT^TT

From what I've read into it might just be a digital release, but yeah, let's hope they can make a deal with a publisher on retail copies!

ShantaeVocaloid wrote:Oh-ho~...guess that makes up for Risky's Revenge's length, then! BTW, speaking of the original game, 2012's almost over and we still haven't seen it on the eShop! What's the holdup?

I know! ;__; It sucks how nothing else has been said about the eShop release of the original Shantae. Maybe one of us could bug MattBozon on dA, or WayForward's Twitter, for an answer? =P
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:06 pm

.Luke wrote:From what I've read into it might just be a digital release, but yeah, let's hope they can make a deal with a publisher on retail copies!
Well, at least it's readily available on a popular console alongside the sequel, so you don't have to pirate it, like some people do with the original.

.Luke wrote:I know! ;__; It sucks how nothing else has been said about the eShop release of the original Shantae. Maybe one of us could bug MattBozon on dA, or WayForward's Twitter, for an answer? =P
I wouldn't wanna bug anyone! TT^TT

...Okay, maybe I'll just ask them once. XD
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:10 pm

It's about time Bozon got around to continuing the story after that lackluster ending from Risky's Revenge, though I am glad that they're actually taking advantage of Shantae's absent genie-magic to experiment with new types of gameplay. I'm assuming, though, that she will get her trademark magic powers and dances back as the plot progresses, since that has always been her main character hook.

Seeing Risky get her shot as a major (possibly playable) character will be fun, but she wouldn't be Risky Boots if there wasn't a backstabbing somewhere along the line. We'll see how this goes.

And alas, Nintendo Power had a good run.

Last edited by Maetch on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Maetch wrote:It's about time Bozon got around to continuing the story after that lackluster ending from Risky's Revenge, though I am glad that they're actually taking advantage of Shantae's absent genie-magic to experiment with new types of gameplay. I'm assuming, though, that she will get her trademark magic powers and dances back as the plot progresses, since that has always been her main character hook.

Yeah, I'll admit, the ending was kinda crap, though every good game has its flaws (Zelda: OoT and the Water Temple, for example). And yeah, it's nice that they're working it into this game; I'm excited to see where they end up going (even if Shantae does end up with her genie half intact again - though you never know with WayForward, Razz)!
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:59 am

I didn't see the ending of RR as a flaw, IMO, it was more of a "Oh **** just got real! I can only imagine what will happen next." for me. =P It wasn't a total cliffhanger like Halo 2 was, and that literally cut off in the middle of the story. (Always saw Halo 3 as Halo 2 : Part 2. XD) Don't know if she'll get any of her genie powers back, though, except maybe the hair whip, but that's just me hoping for it. XD

Also, the characters finding pirate gear in the temples was what I always wanted in the series to boot. =P Makes way more sense than shaking your bootie at the dance hall for hours on end to buy them. (Made me feel like I was grinding in an RPG. XD) And I'm sure the platforming will be more fluid with gear to climb up with instead of having to dance just to get up a high wall. (That's just a personal gripe, though, there's nothing actually wrong with the platforming, I just prefer fluidity way too much. XD)
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:24 am

.Luke wrote:Don't know if she'll get any of her genie powers back, though, except maybe the hair whip, but that's just me hoping for it. XD
I'm pretty sure it's going to happen, what with Shantae's genie half practically being part of the Tinkerbats now. But who knows? Maybe she won't get them all back, or she loses them again, or something - it's pretty much WayForward's decision on what the ultimate outcome is.
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 pm

I got the issue itself, and it mentions a few more tidbits:
*The familiar supporting cast of Mimic, Bolo, Sky and Rotty is expected to return. Given the fact that she's playing pirate with Risky, though, Shantae's relationship with them won't exactly be at their best.

*Shantae will still be able to use her hair-whip and magic dances. No word on any transformation dances, but she will get dances designed to stun enemies and draw in small items.

*The game will be non-linear in the vein of the original Legend of Zelda. That is to say, Shantae can freely explore the entire overworld without any plot-related restrictions, only that of the player's skill.

*Sequin Land Palace, which was mentioned in RR, will be among the new destinations in this game.

*Bozon mentions the idea of an item that uses the 3DS's 3D effects to reveal hidden passages.

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Maetch wrote:*The familiar supporting cast of Mimic, Bolo, Sky and Rotty is expected to return. Given the fact that she's playing pirate with Risky, though, Shantae's relationship with them won't exactly be at their best.
Ohhh nooo. I wonder how bad this'll get? XD
Maetch wrote:*Shantae will still be able to use her hair-whip and magic dances. No word on any transformation dances, but she will get dances designed to stun enemies and draw in small items.
Huh...interesting. I thought all of her genie powers disappeared. Ah well, she probably gains them over time anyways.
Maetch wrote:*The game will be non-linear in the vein of the original Legend of Zelda. That is to say, Shantae can freely explore the entire overworld without any plot-related restrictions, only that of the player's skill.
So it's less Metroidvania and more Metroid-Zelda? Nice touch.
Maetch wrote:*Sequin Land Palace, which was mentioned in RR, will be among the new destinations in this game.
Huh, I never caught that in RR. Maybe I missed it somewhere.
Maetch wrote:*Bozon mentions the idea of an item that uses the 3DS's 3D effects to reveal hidden passages.
Ooo~, now this looks like it could be something interesting. Or is it just a pair of 3D glasses? (Kidding, kidding. XDDD)
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Dance used to stun enemies, huh? I'd probably be stunned too if she danced in front of me. Otherwise, free exploration is awesome news to me! It's best for it to be that way though since she's hunting instead of dungeon crawling.

I do expect dungeons though for the baddest of the tinkerbosses. Maybe the worst of them could take the forms of Shantae's transformations? Fighting the harpy would be terrible haha, and with water walking mentioned you could fight the mermaid like that.

Other bosses I'd like to see are the Ammo Baron and Rottytops when she hasn't had enough coffee (lol.)
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 pm

BossFight wrote:Other bosses I'd like to see are the Ammo Baron and Rottytops when she hasn't had enough coffee (lol.)
The Ammo Baron appears to be the first boss fought based on screenshots. He's packing a big tank, but like with Risky's Tinkertub, I don't expect it to be much trouble for an entry-level boss (though I imagine it won't be the only fight against him).

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Exploration limited by skill instead of powers?
I honestly can't remember the last time a game outside of Zelda 1 has done that, either. Should be interesting.

This is all happening so fast, my sails swelling with excitement over this portable pirate parade. I really do think the third time's gonna be a charm with this one ; )

Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:06 am

There's more gameplay screenshots? You wouldn't happen to be able to post them, would you?
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 am

There are, actually, but one of the journalist sites was holding back a few screen shots so it would encourage more people to pick up the Nintendo Power issue and look it over themselves. Although if anybody has a scanner and a copy of the issue, I would punch a freaking shark with freaking lasers on its freaking head to see those extra screens. XD

Also, can't believe it's going to visit Sequin Palace, which was hinted at in an interview with Matt Bozon! :'D Blows me away that there's an explanation for everything, (He literally wrote down everything about Shantae's universe like any serious fiction writer would. Both games released so far barely scratch the surface.) so that place would be dripping with secrets. *droolgasm*
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:42 am

We visit a wealthy and important palace when Shantae becomes a Pirate? Maybe there's something there she needs to steal! Would be an interesting concept.
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:23 am

Hmm, I am not sure what to make of this.
(Main reason why I kept silent until now)

On one end, I think it's an interesting concept.
On the other, it throws me off a little.

So I will wait until further info is released.
Maybe that will ease my doubts. :/
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:12 pm

I was wondering why you hadn't replied to this topic yet. XD

Anyway, I can kinda share in that doubt, because I wasn't sure what to expect of Risky's Revenge at first. My little cousin asked me to help him play through it on his 3DS and I honestly can't wait for it to hit Steam as a PC release. (Or when I can buy a 3DS, get it off the eShop then, but I'm waiting for this new game plus the virtual console release of Shantae before that. =P I'd love to be able to have all three Shantae games on the same system, that'd totally rock!) So once more info's out I'm sure all of us will be more eager to see how it plays out.

Besides any of that, Shantae teaming up with Risky, and shaking up her allies trust in the process, can't possibly go anywhere nearly as badly as this. Nothing can! XD I'm sure WayForward know what they're doing. Sometimes things have to take a turn for the worst before it gets better, and that's the making of any well-executed story right there.
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:56 pm

I can understand why some may have doubts, but I have a really good feeling about this game. Don't ask me why haha. The one thing that does throw me off is how we go from the end of RR to them teaming up. I guess we'll see how it goes down though
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:51 pm

BossFight wrote:The one thing that does throw me off is how we go from the end of RR to them teaming up.
Desperation, most likely.

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: