Something I've noticed abou Shantae's games

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Something I've noticed abou Shantae's games

Post by Maetch on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 pm

There's always procrastiniation when it comes to Shantae. WayForward is apparently pushing the DuckTales remake and the Mighty Switch Force sequel, leaving their little half-genie's next game on the back-burner for the time being. Nintendo doesn't help, either. We don't even have the GBC game on the 3DS yet, and that game's completely Ret-2-Go.

I remember how it took a whole year between announcement and release for <i>Risky's Revenge</i> to finally pop up, and the final product wound up falling short of the promised expectations. Plus, the 3DS came shortly afterwards and Shantae got lost in the transition (just like how the first game was ignored in favor of the new Game Boy Advance), all because it got stalled.

I'm concerned because this, the third game in the series, represents a major step forward for Shantae's reputation and a significant change to her gameplay (moreso than RR, which mostly just coasted on what the first game did). If it ends up falling for the same procrastination trap again, it may not bode well for her series.

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Re: Something I've noticed abou Shantae's games

Post by Nai255 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:44 am

It's definitely a scary coincidence. Almost feels like a skit where a person three wishes wind up going awry to some degree.
But I have faith that the third time will really be the charm, once it's had time to develop into what sounds like a rather amazing platform adventure. The 3DS is starting to hit it's prime and I think it's got at least a few years left, and once they've knocked out all the other good stuff to tide us over they'll be on track to work some genie magic well before the system becomes old news.

It's times like this I'm thankful for digital distribution as well, so that "smaller" companies can still get their games out to the public without too much fuss

Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Gold on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:31 pm

I remember reading (somewhere) that WayForward really likes their original IPs, but those aren't the ones that get them the majority of their income. From a business standpoint, they have to finish games that were licensed to them from other companies first since those get so many more sales than their own. And then they can work on their projects.

It's not great, but they do at least care about their own projects. If you're only able to work on a game a little bit at a time for a few years, chances are the cutting edge technology will have changed by the time you finish, and your game will look like it's behind from the get go. The only time (to my knowledge) a WayForward game has suffered from this was the original Shantae being overshadowed by the GBA, and that game still looks gorgeous. There is also the fact that they were working on a GBA Shantae game that never got released, but they were smart about shifting focus to the DSi for that. They could have easily done a lazy port of Risky's Revenge to the iOS, but they took the time to make adjustments to make sure it feels fair with the weaker control scheme they have to deal with.

So it's certainly not that they don't care about Shantae, it's just that from a business standpoint they can't put the focus on her that they want to. If Shantae ends up with a wider and wider fan base (and they have to do a consistently good job with their games to end up here), maybe they'll be able to put more focus on her someday. It'd be nice.

Scuttle Town Regular

: Self-Styled Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:53 am

Those are all good points, Agent Gold. I think most of that is common sense around here at this point, and it's certainly great of WayForward to stick to what really puts the bread on the table at the end of day. Although I feel Shantae's latest adventure isn't too far off in the near future. The series has failed to be relevant, and suffered bad timing for both releases so far, so here's to hoping the third time's a charm. The 3DS eShop needs decent original games badly, and Pirate's Curse would fit that niche like a glove.

Nai255 wrote:It's times like this I'm thankful for digital distribution as well, so that "smaller" companies can still get their games out to the public without too much fuss

Totally agree there. I like quite a few games and remakes that never would have seen the light of day if it weren't for digital avenues; it's really helping the Indie game scene take off as well.
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum