Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shantae Pirate's Curse, Playable At PAX

+2
Axol The Axolotl
BossFight
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Shantae Pirate's Curse, Playable At PAX - Page 2 Empty Re: Shantae Pirate's Curse, Playable At PAX

Post by Nai255 Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:00 pm

The inclusion of the Gecko Race challengers from the original Shantae perked my interest. That masked man always struck me as a bit shady, maybe he'll have a devious deal to strike with Shantae... or I'm just reading into something too deep as usual and they'll just be cameos looking for a possible rematch, eheh.

At any rate, 2014 is looking like a good year for our guardian gal  Wink
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Shantae Pirate's Curse, Playable At PAX - Page 2 Empty Re: Shantae Pirate's Curse, Playable At PAX

Post by .Luke Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:35 pm

It's looking great indeed, Nai! I didn't even spot the Gecko Race challengers in there, nice observation.

Maetch wrote:What updates? Did the iOS version have ANY new features besides the double-damage suit?

I imagine the iOS version probably has a lot of little bug fixes of its own from the DSi/3DS release, besides the extra costume. Who knows? :twisted:A special edition of sorts will be interesting nonetheless.

Also, we got a guestimate of when Pirate's Curse will hit!

Matt Bozon wrote:Looking at sometime this winter for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. So Dec 21 - Mar 19 timeframe. A couple more months, best guess

https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/412110783623860224
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:32 am

.Luke wrote:Also, we got a guestimate of when Pirate's Curse will hit!

Matt Bozon wrote:Looking at sometime this winter for Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. So Dec 21 - Mar 19 timeframe. A couple more months, best guess

https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/412110783623860224
Definitely don't expect it to come out before New Year's (barring a miracle). Heck, WayForward can never seem to settle on a final release date without getting stalled to high-heaven, so worst-case scenario is that it gets pushed to July.

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm sure preproduction work on Half-Genie Hero probably doesn't help with that either, unless the Pirate's Curse devs are a separate team working on the game. I imagine ironing out bugs and game balancing would be the most time-consuming part of finalizing the end product.

Some delays are occasionally out of their control as well; Shantae GBC was submitted for nearly two years before it made its way onto the eShop. It will be similarly frustrating if Pirate's Curse also has any unexplained delays on Nintendo's part.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:27 am

Why does Shantae appear paler again in this newer Pirate's Curse screencap? http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/bin/AkfnlGII4twf5jFJxHg5K_bPw55hHMo7/9b7gVknpBIXhJD0cVgLSXm4o48kxEYHa.jpg

Compare to a screencap from months ago: https://i.imgur.com/eZowwq3.jpg

I am really hoping that WF did in fact learn from the previous outcry. Regardless of how one feels about altering Shantae's skin tone, the company would not emerge from a second such backlash unscathed. e.e

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:22 pm

GREEN eyes?! Oops, wrong game...

Poor Shantae can't catch a break: she has the moves of Michael Jackson, yet all the same skin problems as well. I'd say it don't matter if you're black or white (or anything in between), but Shantae's always had a bit of tan to her. Video game characters may change appearance over time, Shantae included, but never in their skin tone as far as I know
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Mmhm, the factor (beyond consistency) that unsettles me is that the 'Net already threw a fit during the HGH Kickstarter when they lightened her for the promo art and video. Inserting a pale Shantae into Pirate's Curse and dropping it on an unsuspecting audience after that is bound to blow up to some extent - and, for the health and reputation of WF, I am greatly hoping it's not a final take.

Although the Michael Jackson analogy is amusing. X3

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 am

You guys have to remember, only a minority of people cry foul over minute details like this, (Like some fans flipping out over Sonic's blue arms in the new Sonic Boom cartoon.) hence why WayForward were wise to not address the issue at all. They already know her skin's a little light, and this might be addressed in the final game.

Allow me to quote Wil Wheaton, when a few Star Trek fans were loudly critical of his part in Next Generation.

Wil Wheaton wrote:Later, I determined that the people who were really, really cruel – like the Usenet weenies – really are a statistically insignificant number of people. And I know, just over the years from people who've e-mailed me at my web site and people who I've talked to since I started going to Star Trek conventions again in the last five years, that there are so many more people who really enjoyed everything about the show, including my performance, including the character.

Most Shantae fans like us won't let something that minuscule get under our skin, but a few others with high expectations for their games, give or take no lives outside of them, will.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Huh? Consistency is minuscule? O.o

I'm not offended by this, nor am I going to take offense on behalf of anyone else - that'd be pretentious as heck x.o - but I keenly recall the uproar from that minority last go-'round. It spread throughout the gaming news sites and mini-communities quickly enough. The proclivity of the media to latch onto smaller issues and hammer them into the public consciousness until they explode from the stress is readily evident. Shantae doesn't deserve that sort of trouble. =(

WF ain't massive like Star Trek was and is, and needless setbacks to their evolution as a company smack of loose fingers. *That* is what unsettles me: the repetition. One mistake, okay, roll with it and learn from it. Two identical mistakes, it's time for reassessment. Don't want a mistake to develop into a pattern.

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 am

Consistency is important, but so is evolution. What strikes me as upsetting is that the fanbase, overall, overwhelmingly accepted the new art style without any qualms, (Whereas art shifts splinter fanbases as a given.) but a slight change in skin tone, a possible coloring mistake, and we've got war on our hands; the logic is beyond comprehension. I saw a large portion of the Kickstarter posts myself, it was a right mess. You seemingly can't tell people preproduction art != final artwork.

Regardless of all that, I think the skin color issue was already addressed in additional artwork released after the initial kickstarter, as seen here. So I'm not too worried about the final game having the expected middle eastern woman vibe.

Shantae Pirate's Curse, Playable At PAX - Page 2 20130918_shantae_mighty_no_9

I think it's less an issue of Shantae having infamy because of a change of skin tone, but garnering infamy by the less sidely aspect of the community blowing it up into racial issues. New fans would be less likely to join fan communities upon hearing they are no less awash with entitlement, and distinct differences in opinion, than many of the Sonic or Zelda communities out there.

It would be one thing for WayForward to make an oversight, (An oversight 90% of fans won't notice until you bring it up in conversation.) but the potential fan overreaction is a whole other monster. Half-Genie Hero's developers may survive any amount of uproar from the minority, but not the fanbase.

I'm curious what media outlets covered the skin tone issues? News sites like IGN and GameSpot were virtually silent on the subject.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:53 am

Oh, I hear ya. I'm not entirely on board with the newer art style m'self. It's less captivating since it's reduced & simplified, not to mention a bit curious (e.g., the "feet"). Definitely, Shantae 3 shouldn't disappoint on that facet, at least! ^^

From what I recall, Destructoid, Polygon, Joystiq, and GoNintendo were four among those reporting on it - not as massive as IGN or GameSpot, goodness no, but then, Shantae barely registers a pulse on their radars anyhow. =/ At least at places like Destructoid, she's got thoroughly devoted & knowledgeable supporters on staff. Shouldn't mean she gets a free pass for anything, but it's better than the "who wants to play as a girl?" crowd. x.x''

Anyhow! End of February, beginning of March? Someday soon-ish, the gal's third game will launch - quite a progression since the 2000s. If I could, I'd buy everybody a 3DS so that all could delight in it.  Extra Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:07 pm

I was feeling odd about the new art style myself, but as much as I wanted a serious looking Shantae in HD, the cuteness and charm of the new look stole my heart, so how could I say no to that? Playful Wink I'm sure we will see plenty of this as well as that in the future.

Ah, it's good to know the miniature controversery didn't make big splashes in the media, but it's no surprise the smaller news sites wanted some easy click-bait, and I wouldn't be surprised if the bigger sites avoided it for that reason. (Although it does seem that GameSpot and IGN's staffs don't care for Shantae, but there sure are big fans of Sly Cooper around there.)

Also, we got some news on Pirate's Curse! HUGE NEWS HOT OFF THE SOCIAL PRESSES OMG

WayForward on Facebook wrote:Hi WayForward fans!

Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse is nearing the end of development, but we’ve decided to move the game’s release back a couple of months to allow for extra polish and finishing touches. Thank you for waiting so patiently while we work our magic. We’ll keep you posted on new info as soon as it’s available. It’s going to be Shantae’s weirdest, wildest, biggest adventure yet!

Give us a shout via Twitter and Facebook. We’d love to hear from you!
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 pm

Looks like Shantae's ship is finally starting to set sail.
btw, I find it kinda odd there hasn't been any Risky art shown off in the Pirate's Curse / IntiCreates style yet (as far as I know).
Don't be so selfish taking all this time to decide on a nice look, Miss Boots. there's other people looking to live the pirate's life as well  Razz
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Risky's no longer involved. It's all about her 'surprise' out-of-nowhere cousin, Frisky Loots.

Yeah. >.> Definitely no Dr. Wily Syndrome here! <.<

Anyhow, while I am slightly disheartened that Pirate's Curse won't launch in March, I do trust that WayForward shall be scrub-scrub-scrubbing the deck 'til ti shines to a pearl luster. Here's to a rousing success for Miss 'Tae in '14~! Extra Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:29 am

I'm not feeling too off-put by the bump back either. Anything's better than releasing a game early that's riddled with balance issues, design oversights, dialogue typos, and show-stopping bugs. WayForward cares about delivering a quality product, and amidst a pile of games these days being manufactured ahead of release, while devs create much needed day-one patchs, I respect them a lot for it.

Tekaramity wrote:Frisky Loots

I see what you did there. Razz
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:30 pm

.Luke wrote:I'm not feeling too off-put by the bump back either. Anything's better than releasing a game early that's riddled with balance issues, design oversights, dialogue typos, and show-stopping bugs. WayForward cares about delivering a quality product, and amidst a pile of games these days being manufactured ahead of release, while devs create much needed day-one patchs, I respect them a lot for it.
After how Risky's Revenge wound up falling short of initial expectations despite over a year of development, I hope WayForward learned their lesson from RR about promising more than they can handle and are at least making sure that through this delay, nothing has to be sacrificed in the name of their creative vision.

That said, some new gameplay footage would be nice. So far, we've seen jack-bupkus about the game in the past few months.

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:10 am

Now watch the game only get like, five dungeons to top the first Shantae. Razz *bricked* In all seriousness, any amount above three is more than welcome in my books, but I generally don't mind short games either. Lots of my favorite 4th and 5th gen games could be easily beaten in 45 minutes, or whole hours. I think RPGs with hours of grinding filler back then, and open world games like the Elder Scrolls now, have had a major impact on peoples' expectations in the length of new games.

Although falling short of promised features, on the other hand, does sting a lot of players regardless. I'm sure they've gotten a much better grip on mobile platforms, since the originally planned episodic series of releases on the DSi didn't pan out.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:45 am

Mmhm, and you make a fair point in that the differences between '90s-JRPG combat grinding and Skyrim-style exploration grinding are less than discerned superficially. ^^ Although each has its merits, depending on the situation.

So! I wonder if the reception to Pirate's Curse will alter HGH in any way. I wanna say no, but perhaps it's realistic to expect a slight influence either way. If PC exceeds hopes, perhaps the team'll look to it to retain an exemplary facet; if PC disappoints, perhaps the team'll stray from it in order to right the proverbial Risky's ship. Nonetheless, I'm of the mind that reception to PC should only barely affect HGH - time often exonerates (or posthumously condemns!) media.

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:57 am

I'm interested in what Pirate's Curse will mean for Half-Genie Hero as well. Supposed black sheeps in series never cause a cancellation, but a negative reception could slow down the hype train for Half-Genie Hero.

Thanks to WayForward spending additional time on bug fixes, I don't at least worry they would deliver a broken release marred by technical problems. (Which seems to be the case for a lot of AAA games recently.) It will be a solid experience for anyone to enjoy, regardless of what the community overall feels about the story and stage design. After all, people do love or hate games for the same reasons. We'll see if Pirate's Curse maintains the steam from Risky's Revenge, I'm fairly confident it will.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 01, 2014 1:03 am

Yeah, I concur. Smile Shantae's picked up speed ever since Risky's Revenge finally debuted, and I doubt Pirate's Curse will derail that train~ \o/

So! HAPPY MAY to everybody! Twisted Evil At least here on the East Coast of North America. ;w; Here's majorly hoping that this month shall supply release data for the aforementioned Pirate's Curse & that everybody pitches in to purchase Sir Dottie Z. Lukerton a Nintendo 3DS, that he may join the cause and revel in the bounty. Kitty Face

(Also that is a fabulous name for ya, if I do say so myself. Awesome Face)

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sun May 04, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm hoping for some news about Pirate's Curse as well, this community's essentially been quiet without anything new to talk about. Pouting Of course, hype costs money, so it's no surprise WayForward's quietly toiling away at making sure the game is ready for release.

Also, I'll get a 3DS myself eventually, that won't be a problem. Playful Wink When I do, I'll have to make sure I've got the extra pocket change to pick up all three Shantae experiences at once, so I'll be set with that and Pokemon X for a while! Maybe I'll actually sink some time into them too, I seem to have more time for portable games than ones that tie me to the desk.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 7:15 pm

You could alternately pick up Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire if you so preferred, although since next to nothing is known about 'em thus far, it might be wiser to stick to X. Playful Wink Gen VI is overall quite strong~

But man, now we've learned of yet another Pokémon release without any recent news concerning Pirate's Curse! -chucks Master Ball at the Distractions distracting WayForward- No more distractions! Hop on it, blokes.  Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Mon May 12, 2014 2:25 am

I'm sure the third gen remakes are going to be amazing, and have more end game content. *shakes fist* The Kalos region still looks like a blast to run through, so if I get X before Omega Ruby, it will be nice having a head start on raising Pokemon in 3D!

And the fact that they're so quiet speaks volumes about their productivity to me. The game's already done, but they're not going to leave any show-stopping issues in the public release. I have a lot of respect for them that they're willing to delay a game until it's truly ready. You know the developers of Battlefield 4 were crying when EA pushed them to release barely a year after Battlefield 3.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Fair points, my counterpoint being that several - several - creators can be and have been creative, efficient, masterful, *and* timely. There are sound reasons for deadlines. Just because a few deadlines are illogically early doesn't mean that the concept of timeliness and efficiency should be chucked out entirely. As with all things, balance - and it is prudent to be both creative *and* timely. Sure, the former contributes further to the quality of the end product, but that doesn't nullify the value of the latter. That's all. ^^ It'd be a poor trend to continue, this indie trend of setting early (and somewhat unfeasible) launch dates. Just set it 2-3 months later to establish breathing room for delays, hiccups, and extra polish - in fact, yeah, that's closer to what I'm truly advocating: more feasible release dates, so that launch delays occur internally instead of externally. Surely that is not an unreasonable method to pursue. o3o

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri May 16, 2014 11:24 pm

That's actually a pretty sound idea. Delays happen a lot on the indie side of things, so a little extra time never hurts, and keeps promises more consistent.

And that is true. Years ago, Sonic Team pushed out Sonic titles in 6 months time, but the end product wasn't horribly broken; in fact, the levels got more monstrous in proportions with each release. There were a few oversights for sure, but not any class A showstoppers either. You could really tell how efficient the developers were, even with the strict deadlines and power naps they faced.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next