Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.)

4 posters

Go down

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Empty Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.)

Post by .Luke Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:04 am

That's right people, I've been slaving away for the past two, maybe three months, at something that could prove useful to the fan game scene around here. Trust me when I say it was not easy. Pouting Sonic fan game makers honestly have it easy compared to this.

So here it is, a Shantae template engine for Game Maker! Happy Thanksgiving folks, (And now an early Merry Christmas thanks to this new update!) you don't have to reverse engineer the game to make a totally new experience with the original engine. It's not only in a finished state, it has the mermaid form, swimming, and a text box that behaves exactly like the original. This is ready to use for your game project right away.

Check out some of these screenshots and the download link! Even if you don't have Game Maker, you can load up the compiled binary and see how it plays.

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Enginescreenshot Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Night_time

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) B3AmiO-IcAE5IyW Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Shantae_engine_screenies_5_by_mr_glaceon-d874gvl

Do note that while all three versions have all the same features by different means, the Game Maker 8.1 version is missing the Blue Armor upgrade because I couldn't find an elegant way to color sprites. Not without using duplicate copies of the same sprites, and that creates a lot of bloat. Otherwise, everything else should be intact, give or take a few unique quirks or bugs of their own introduced by their associated Game Maker version. If you have trouble using any of these templates, feel free to message me on social media or reply to this topic.

*~*~*~*Download Link*~*~*~*

***Game Maker Studio Version***
(Requires Studio 1.4 and up.)

***Legacy Game Maker Versions***
(5.3a and 8.1)

***Shantae Font For Game Maker 8.1 and Game Maker Studio Versions***

*~*~*~*Mediafire Mirrors*~*~*~*

(5.3a and 8.1)

*~*~*~*Shantae Font at Fontstruct*~*~*~*

***Fontstruct Font For Game Maker 8.1 and Game Maker Studio Versions***

Direct Links For Guests:

CREDITS:

CONTROLS:

DETAILED DISCLAIMER:

The example areas cover Scuttle Town's Hub, a cave, the entrance to Scuttle Town, Scarecrow Fields, as well as a totally new dock area to swim with the mermaid form, so that's lots of areas to play around in! All the animal forms are in too, (Including the Mermaid Form from Risky's Revenge.) even the day/night cycle and shop keeper works. I also squeaked in another feature too.

ONLY CLICK IF YOU'D RATHER NOT FIND THIS SECRET YOURSELF:

I worked on this for a long time for a reason, it covers a lot more than just movement and physics for Shantae and her animal forms, there's way more than that! Check out this list of features pulled from the Readme.

FEATURE LIST:

Despite how much artwork, sounds, and music are included in this package, this is still a template. I left it barebones without a save menu, or more specific save features, so it would be easier for you to write your own. (I didn't even include the game over screen.) If I code too much, it would give you less room to fit and optimize the engine to your specific needs; nearly 3000+ lines of code is enough to sift through as it is, but I included a code branch tree in the package that should bring you up to speed on the structure. I figured it would be much better to release the engine with proper documentation, instead of releasing it into the wild and leaving you to figure out everything.

I hope this engine's source is a huge leap forward towards GBC-styled Shantae fan games, or even serving educational purposes. Happy fan game deving guys! Feel free to post in this thread should you bump into any problems using the source for your own game, I wouldn't mind helping.[/center]

Last edited by .Luke on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:01 pm; edited 18 times in total
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Empty Re: Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.)

Post by .Luke Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:25 am

Making an extra post to say development of additional features are on a short hiatus while I catch on other projects, but I am open to responding to bug reports. A feature freeze only freezes features; I'll fix bugs to existing features as I can. If anybody wants to help me with observations and finding bugs or unusual exploits, I'd gladly welcome it.

So I'm finally ready to work on your project, Harvey, if you're reading this. I felt like I needed to do something totally out of my league first, and I learned tons of things from this experience that would be more than helpful for coding your project. Playful Wink
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Empty Re: Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.)

Post by Nai255 Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Great work on this! Thanks again for sharing, looks like it could be a nice tool for those who wanna learn the ropes of programming as well.

I wish ya luck on your future projects, too Smile 
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks, Nai. ^^ It was definitely an ambitious project, and I look forward to returning to it later on to add those extra features too. I plan on making a two-dungeon length fan game with this engine once it has hit the 1.1 version mark, so definitely stay tuned for that.

Also, I gotta thank you and EternalLight for ripping a lot of the character animations this uses. It was somewhat of a pain converting all of it over to the GBC palette, but it still saved me loads of time I didn't have to rip them all myself. It's kind of shocking to think Shantae's normal form has well over 300 to 400 frames of animation, WayForward really packed that 32 Megabit cartridge tight with artwork.

I am open to any bug reports, fixes, or questions about it in the meantime. I care about the quality of this thing and want it to be as accurate to the original engine as I can.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Erdrick The Hero Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:34 am

Hey, .Luke, I just tried to download zip file and Chrome blocked it telling me it is malicious.

I'm new to these forums and don't know you, but seeing that you are not only an administrator, but also have a good reputation around here, I have no reason to believe that you'd be intentionally infecting others' machines. However, I've never had a GM download be blocked like this. Do you have any idea why Chrome would be suspicious of the file, and do you know how I could fix it? I'd really like to take a look at this.

Thanks.
Erdrick The Hero
Erdrick The Hero
New Scuttle Town Resident
New Scuttle Town Resident

: New to the series...

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:06 am

I apologize for the late reply. Legitimately missed this post. Pouting

I don't use Chrome, so that's the first I've heard of it. Although on Windows 8 recently, I had to add Game Maker 5.3a as an exception to Windows Defender, (Utterly and completely useless, by the way.) because it would stall the program while it compiled a binary.

I think cheap Anti-Virus apps are picky about Game Maker, as they are with a lot of safe indie games and open-source software. McAfee gave me nothing but false alarms left and right, when I PC trials of it years ago; it only ever saved me from a joke virus, and that's not even a real one. Norton was the same exact deal, a complete waste of available system resources.

Needless to say, (Besides the fact that I spend most of my PC time on Linux.) I haven't used an Anti-Virus app in nearly a decade, because if you contract a virus or malware anyway, it's game over and time to reinstall Windows. They can't save your installation of Windows from something recent, or smart enough to get through the most popular AV solutions.

tl;dr, you should be fine. In fact, when I was copying files over to my new Notebook, my Shantae source didn't transfer over properly, so I had to redownload it from the same link available here, and for the past four months, Windows 8 has been as healthy as it was when I first got this machine.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:30 am

On a very random note, I've started this project back up nearly a year after leaving it untouched. Twisted Evil I seriously want to finish up the features I had planned, so I could make a quick and fun little fan game with it, as well as giving the community a platform for their own fan game ideas.

So far, POV hatches are fixed and working! A few weird, but easily fixed bugs, I missed last time are addressed, and it's just day one of restarting the project. Lord knows the text box isn't going to be easy to fix, that might take a complete rewrite. Pouting

Some new assets are ready to use as well, so swimming is going to happen! Check out these GIFs :

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Shantae_swimming___idle_by_mr_glaceon-d870j0r Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Shantae_swimming_by_mr_glaceon-d870j0n

They were shamefully easy to import from Risky's Revenge. Upon closer observation, (I'm a silly bunny for not noticing sooner. Twisted Evil ) Shantae's sprites in Risky's Revenge are exactly the same proportions and style as her Gameboy Color appearance. They're merely given the extra splash of color and shading that is much deserved, with a slight hair update to the bangs.

So I posterized her RR swim sprites, and corrected the resulting colors by hand. You can see the differences between Shantae's bangs on the GBC, and RR, very blatantly in these frames. There were more details on her shoes and belt that still survived posterization, but that had to go for consistency's sake.

I also did the same thing to the mermaid. Posterized her RR Mermaid sprites, and used Color Exchange to make the results fit the GBC game's palette better. (Although I bet I got the shade of blue wrong.) I think I should have left her eyes white, in hindsight, that stands out a lot more than the blue I took from her normal form's sprites. What do you guys think? Should I reduce the colors to three, like the GBC does with other animal forms too?

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) 508153_by_mr_glaceon-d870j23

Now the big dealio is to properly align all these frames, add them to the engine, and start programming their logic. Awesome Face Should be ripe for some fun, and lots of frustration, since I will have to observe the mermaid's movements by video. (I don't have a 3DS yet.)

What do you guys think her dance steps for the mermaid form should be? I can easily come up with that on my own, but it might be better getting second opinions from other fans, so I'd be able to make the most memorable steps that are hard to forget.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:55 am

Well, that was fast. I already have swimming fully working for Shantae's normal form, and the Mermaid is in the engine too, although highly broken. If I finish up the mermaid and text box before Thanksgiving, I could release it on the day of turkey munching yet again. Awesome Face (Not to mention resolving some silly physics derps.)

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Shantae_engine_screenies_4_by_mr_glaceon-d874gvd

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) Shantae_engine_screenies_5_by_mr_glaceon-d874gvl

I guess I didn't need a year-long hiatus, but coming back to this project now is very refreshing. I'd like to release 1.1 very soon, if I can.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:00 am

Looks great so far.

I am looking forward to the changes. : 3
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) B3AmiO-IcAE5IyW

The mermaid form is swimming now too. While I still have to get her behavior down properly, and work out some physics bugs, she can jump in the water and swim around already.

This might be the perfect thing for me to toy with and keep me sane throughout next week. We switched ISPs at this house again, (Which was kinda pointless, as much as I hated the last ISP.) and since they didn't give us a router, we're having to order one; we may or may not have Internet until then. There's no knowing for sure, but a heads up is better than nothing. Twisted Evil
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:27 am

A little update on the engine progress! All I have left to do is fix the shop keeper, and its code is driving me up the wall. Pouting Other than that, I should have a release soon, maybe later in the morning if it isn't too hard to fix.

And I'm happy to say that a Game Maker Studio port will follow!

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) B3wl509IAAAXT_g

A friend told me just this evening that Game Maker Studio : Standard Edition, is now free. Yes, you have to buy a Pro license if you want access to developer resources, and the option to pay for exporters for Mac, Metro, Ubuntu, Android, HTML5, and many more, but the base program that exports to desktop Windows is freely available to anyone. Students or professionals examining Game Maker's viability alike.

This is great news for me, since I've had to spend my money on hardware instead lately. I can worry about exporters and texture management later on when I'm able to afford it. In the meantime, I can port this fan game engine to Studio, and have some fun with hardware accelerated drawing functions.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:00 am

And it's done! Get it while it's hot. I will reupload it to dropbox as a mirror when I have time.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/84gmj263mnuwcqy/Shantae_GBC_Example_Engine(2).zip

EDIT : Drop Box Mirror Up!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkmskzr3mxr7lw9/Shantae%20GBC%20Example%20Engine.zip?dl=0
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:48 pm

I've tested it. And it works good.

Tho there are still some issues.
Such as no continuous movement when going to another area.
Aka, when you exit an area and go to the next one, if you keep holding the directional button, Shantae will not walk.
You'd have to let go and press the button again for her to move.

Plus, Shantae's movements are not locked when talking to the Save Guy and other people.
So while the text box is displayed and the person talks, Shantae can still move normally, when she shouldn't be able to.

And the bat-enemy death-animation still looks strange.

But overall, it works really good.

I like how the swimming and the mermaid-form work.
Tho swimming might need a little more polishing, for it to look really good.
But just asthetics.
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah, this has a few small niggles in itself as well, but the worst offenders are a thing of the past now. Once I've updated the engine to work with Game Maker Studio, I'll have more of the leftover bugs worked out as well. The port to Studio is unfortunately more challenging than I had anticipated. I can't get it to boot yet because of a massive list of compile errors. I squashed all save for a few of them already, although some computational functions such as cos and sin have changed. It will take some time to make sure everything's working the same as it did before, the way Studio wants it.

As for NPCs, it's mostly the save statue that suffers. I hadn't quite locked down all forms of movement, since Shantae has so many actions, but Mimic, the Bath House Lady, the Shop Keeper, the Dance Parlor Lady, and the Warp Squid Mama, and all the Town Hub NPCs do make Shantae stay in place. They also force her into an appropriate position, and reset her crouching state if she was doing so before talking. Thankfully, the issue with the save statue is limited to himself and not the NPC system as a whole.

Also, I was a bit afraid to mess with that code much more than I did, after overhauling the text box functionality. (Which was a nightmare and a half, with nearly four rewrites that weren't going anywhere, until a friend suggested I give arrays a shot.) The shop keeper was in much worse shape, so he got the most attention during development; he ironically depended on a bug in the old text box to jump between dialog options. After two rewrites later on his end, this has been addressed, and he should rarely have issues now.

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:I like how the swimming and the mermaid-form work.
Tho swimming might need a little more polishing, for it to look really good.
But just asthetics.

How exactly could the swimming be improved? I tried doing the best I can, so it's difficult covering everything without knowing what I missed. Although I personally think the biggest problem is the lack of frames for the idle swimming animation. redblueyellow's rips look incomplete on certain bits.

I'm certain that animation in Risky's Revenge had at least twice as many frames. It just doesn't play back as smoothly as literally any other animation Shantae has; it's hard to tell from videos when the frame-rate is usually cut in half.

For instance, I had to use my cousin's 3DS with RR momentarily, specifically to see if the mermaid form's turning sprites were even used in the game. (And they are, but they're so fast, it's easily missed. I intentionally slowed it down somewhat in the engine so they can be seen at all.)
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Well when swimming at the surface, it feels more like on rails.
Subtle up and down movements would make it feel more natural. Same for underwater movement.

But just minor things. Otherwise it works.

BTW: Could it be that you cannot perform the Rising Kick anymore?
Because when I hold up and press Attack, she still only performs the normal Hair Whip.
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:15 pm

You have to double tap Up to trigger the attack. It's odd, I don't remember that breaking during tests. Something might have happened while I was coding in the mermaid and swimming, or I broke one of the triggers while fixing the charge attack.

The forward leap is also refusing to stop if you land in the water, so it looks like I might have to release another small update to the 5.3a branch of the engine. I won't focus on little niggles too much for an example, since anyone using the engine will also do lots of their own modifications, but I can't let things that transcend the disposable overworld stages slide.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:19 am

I've got a patch up on Dropbox! This should fix several problems I missed with the initial release. Simply paste these files over the original source and binary in the main package.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rflld78dnmw3hsv/Shantae%20GBC%20Example%20Engine%20-%20Patch%201.1a.zip?dl=0

Do note that if you're already using the engine, this would overwrite your work. Look over the Player object's code and copy/paste/adapt the lines that you need. Here are the fixes, and a couple of new additions :

· Two of the Advanced attacks have been adapted to disable upon entering the water.

· Shantae remains completely in place while talking to the Old Man at the Save Room, as well as the Shop Keeper. She stops ducking while making downward selections, or facing different directions, while selecting Yes or No answers.

· The Save Statue and Old Man now make use of x_stop from other NPCs to move Shantae into a desirable position while talking.

· The Mermaid Form spawns clouds of dust upon landing on the ground. Forgot to add this last time.

· Mermaid Form remains completely stationary while in her hurt state.

· One Advanced attack that stopped working has been restored. (It was relying on a long since depreciated check variable.)

· Dropped gems and hearts accelerate slower under the surface of the water.

And once again, the Studio port is taking some time. No idea when I'll release at it this point, but it will benefit from extra polish here in the meantime.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:41 pm

A new patch is up! This one is technically optional, although extremely critical for properly written code.

While I've been porting the engine to Game Maker Studio, it turns out "Treat Uninitialized Values as 0" was not only bad practice, the function has been removed from Studio. (Otherwise GML would have to remain a non-compiled language for it to work.)

So that means I sandboxed initializing all variables in each object properly in the 5.3a engine, and checking for instances that should exist when certain values are checked. The game should be as stable as before, and less of a pain for anyone else to port to later Game Makers, if they want to. If the compiled binary crashes at any point, let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sztzel2nvt8htr/Shantae%20GBC%20Example%20Engine%20-%20Patch%201.1b.zip?dl=0

Now I can get back to removing more conflicts in the Studio project files. Twisted Evil Growing pains are something else.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Despite immense amounts of frustration, the Game Maker Studio port is coming along! Shantae can walk around without dying, jump, swim, and read saved input settings from the Ini configuration file.

What I wasn't expecting were the view functions changing so much. Never would have seen this happening. Ah well, at least it's one of the more amusing forms of bugs you come across. Twisted Evil

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) B5KIUKWIAAA1oJ6
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:27 pm

Progress update on the Studio port: Basically everything works, save for displaying text, and changing colors in real-time. (Sorely needed to cut down on memory usage.) I'm having a hard time getting those things to work, thanks to GM:S's awful compile time slowing me down. I've basically put it on hiatus while I work on some original projects that need finishing.

If anybody wants me to finish the port, nag me via these forums here, Twitter, email, deviantART, wherever. As long somebody lets me know it's wanted! That alone would push me to finish it sooner.

And in other news:

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) CH_QuxQWIAAyxT2

That's right, people. The only person on Earth that would never install Steam, even if playing Shantae was on the line-

Wait, too late now, it happened! Twisted Evil That pesky Steam Summer Sale finally bit me too. I'm still going to buy it on 3DS later, then at full price on GoG, if WayForward decides on doing so. (Doubt they will. Doesn't hurt to dream!) although I couldn't pass up having a legit and cheap copy of Risky's Revenge of my own for the moment.

Why is this relevant to the thread? I bought it specifically for improving this little engine. I want many new actions not found in the GBC original, which I added to give this thing more usefulness to fan gaming, to be as close to the original games as possible in their behavior. I'm already seeing lots of stuff I messed up on with the swimming movement!

I can't wait to reach the Mermaid Form and play with that to pieces until everything almost matches, tap by tap of the buttons. I already came super close to the correct jump height and gravity of the first Shantae; that might take a little more math in the equation to pull off.

So, in summary, I have more Shantae games to play with than only the first one, and YouTube videos of the others, so you guys might see an update for the GM 5.3a branch eventually. Any changes will be brought forward into the GM:S port as well, when that's done.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:59 pm

I know this community is as dead as many other forums these days, (A fair deal of it is my fault in more ways than one, and I sincerely apologize for that.) I'm still posting this update here for anyone on Google looking for fan game engines.

The Game Maker Studio ports and Game Maker 8.1 versions of this thing are done! It took me a while to learn all the new ways Studio handles things, and I fell victim to a few critical bugs that were eventually addressed. Now that I have passed those hurdles, it's possible to make Shantae fan games on modern Game Maker versions more easily now. Awesome Face I'm even considering using Studio for an original game project, now that I know what I'm doing with it.

*~*~*~*Download Link*~*~*~*

(5.3a and 8.1)

(5.3a and 8.1)

For some reason, guests can't click on the links, so here are the links themselves in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler:

Another upcoming Thanksgiving, another release. For those of you who would like to make a cute little Shantae fan game, this is for you! If you have any issues or have questions about using the template, send me an email, or give me a mention on my Twitter, Mr_Glaceon.

Last edited by .Luke on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add the Mediafire mirrors. Oops.)
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:29 pm

One more double post to say I've made the final versions of this thing! Unless somebody has bug reports for me, I've done everything I can to reasonably polish it on my own. Here's a simplified list of important fixes:

• Shantae remains perfectly still on the surface of the water, while still sinking and rising if you dive in fast enough. Her swimming sprites are properly aligned and set to the correct speed as well.

• The Mermaid Form is as close to its Risky's Revenge counterpart as I can get it. She moves at a similarly slow pace on land, (I played RR and this at the same time to help match the speeds; it's fairly close.) and she fires one dangerously fast bubble at a time that creates an explosion on impact while in the water.

• Mermaid Form's jump height isn't as high as well, to better match Risky's Revenge, and her diving animation locks its facing direction while in mid-air.

• The projectile object has seen itself a proper rewrite for the most part. It can destroy vases and make contact with walls in either Spider or Mermaid forms, instead of going through walls and enemies. Explodes on impact in all cases, as well as playing back sounds of its own instead of piggybacking that task to the resource manager; Studio's new audio engine is great. It no longer acts as a secondary camera object.

• Projectiles are also respawned when entering a new room. They failed to have some sort of persistence between not only transformations, but between rooms, so if you tried to fire venom as the spider after changing rooms, the game ends with an error; same result if you changed from the mermaid to the spider, and visa versa. (This was stupid easy to fix, although I knew it wouldn't be so easy for a newbie to address, so I felt bad for not seeing the problem sooner.)

• Shop Keeper no longer relies on the projectile to manage camera movement during the shopping sequence; it was stupid that I resorted to this odd dependency in the first place. He handles the camera position entirely himself with variables. It's far more efficient.

• Dance Step Timer on the HUD was not behaving properly in the Game Maker Studio version, so I changed the timing very slightly to fully cycle through all four stars before starting over. (This was not an issue for the 8.1 version.)

• An additional provision for the crawlspace surface types wasn't included for the Mermaid Form in the right and left collision sensors, so she could hop through them. Obviously, I had to fix that.

• Shantae Font Monospaced is fixed with proper numbers that match the original game. I made the mistake of drawing the numbers from the debug menu(?) in Shantae instead of the numbers seen in the finished game, so I corrected this issue.

• Additional sound playback bleeding I missed in the initial release of the Studio version.

• Many other little bugs I may have forgotten I patched up. I really should keep a proper changelog of these things.

Game Maker Studio Version - Final

Shantae Font For Game Maker 8.1 and Game Maker Studio Versions

Game Maker Legacy Versions (5.3a and 8.1)

(5.3a and 8.1)

*~*~*~*Shantae Font at Fontstruct*~*~*~*

***Fontstruct Font For Game Maker 8.1 and Game Maker Studio Versions***

Guest Links:
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down