Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.)

4 posters

Go down

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) - Page 2 Empty Re: Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.)

Post by .Luke Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:15 pm

You have to double tap Up to trigger the attack. It's odd, I don't remember that breaking during tests. Something might have happened while I was coding in the mermaid and swimming, or I broke one of the triggers while fixing the charge attack.

The forward leap is also refusing to stop if you land in the water, so it looks like I might have to release another small update to the 5.3a branch of the engine. I won't focus on little niggles too much for an example, since anyone using the engine will also do lots of their own modifications, but I can't let things that transcend the disposable overworld stages slide.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) - Page 2 Empty Re: Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.)

Post by .Luke Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:19 am

I've got a patch up on Dropbox! This should fix several problems I missed with the initial release. Simply paste these files over the original source and binary in the main package.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rflld78dnmw3hsv/Shantae%20GBC%20Example%20Engine%20-%20Patch%201.1a.zip?dl=0

Do note that if you're already using the engine, this would overwrite your work. Look over the Player object's code and copy/paste/adapt the lines that you need. Here are the fixes, and a couple of new additions :

· Two of the Advanced attacks have been adapted to disable upon entering the water.

· Shantae remains completely in place while talking to the Old Man at the Save Room, as well as the Shop Keeper. She stops ducking while making downward selections, or facing different directions, while selecting Yes or No answers.

· The Save Statue and Old Man now make use of x_stop from other NPCs to move Shantae into a desirable position while talking.

· The Mermaid Form spawns clouds of dust upon landing on the ground. Forgot to add this last time.

· Mermaid Form remains completely stationary while in her hurt state.

· One Advanced attack that stopped working has been restored. (It was relying on a long since depreciated check variable.)

· Dropped gems and hearts accelerate slower under the surface of the water.

And once again, the Studio port is taking some time. No idea when I'll release at it this point, but it will benefit from extra polish here in the meantime.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:41 pm

A new patch is up! This one is technically optional, although extremely critical for properly written code.

While I've been porting the engine to Game Maker Studio, it turns out "Treat Uninitialized Values as 0" was not only bad practice, the function has been removed from Studio. (Otherwise GML would have to remain a non-compiled language for it to work.)

So that means I sandboxed initializing all variables in each object properly in the 5.3a engine, and checking for instances that should exist when certain values are checked. The game should be as stable as before, and less of a pain for anyone else to port to later Game Makers, if they want to. If the compiled binary crashes at any point, let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sztzel2nvt8htr/Shantae%20GBC%20Example%20Engine%20-%20Patch%201.1b.zip?dl=0

Now I can get back to removing more conflicts in the Studio project files. Twisted Evil Growing pains are something else.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Despite immense amounts of frustration, the Game Maker Studio port is coming along! Shantae can walk around without dying, jump, swim, and read saved input settings from the Ini configuration file.

What I wasn't expecting were the view functions changing so much. Never would have seen this happening. Ah well, at least it's one of the more amusing forms of bugs you come across. Twisted Evil

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) - Page 2 B5KIUKWIAAA1oJ6
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:27 pm

Progress update on the Studio port: Basically everything works, save for displaying text, and changing colors in real-time. (Sorely needed to cut down on memory usage.) I'm having a hard time getting those things to work, thanks to GM:S's awful compile time slowing me down. I've basically put it on hiatus while I work on some original projects that need finishing.

If anybody wants me to finish the port, nag me via these forums here, Twitter, email, deviantART, wherever. As long somebody lets me know it's wanted! That alone would push me to finish it sooner.

And in other news:

Shantae GBC Example For Game Maker! (Version 1.1. Studio, 8.1, and 5.3a Compatible.) - Page 2 CH_QuxQWIAAyxT2

That's right, people. The only person on Earth that would never install Steam, even if playing Shantae was on the line-

Wait, too late now, it happened! Twisted Evil That pesky Steam Summer Sale finally bit me too. I'm still going to buy it on 3DS later, then at full price on GoG, if WayForward decides on doing so. (Doubt they will. Doesn't hurt to dream!) although I couldn't pass up having a legit and cheap copy of Risky's Revenge of my own for the moment.

Why is this relevant to the thread? I bought it specifically for improving this little engine. I want many new actions not found in the GBC original, which I added to give this thing more usefulness to fan gaming, to be as close to the original games as possible in their behavior. I'm already seeing lots of stuff I messed up on with the swimming movement!

I can't wait to reach the Mermaid Form and play with that to pieces until everything almost matches, tap by tap of the buttons. I already came super close to the correct jump height and gravity of the first Shantae; that might take a little more math in the equation to pull off.

So, in summary, I have more Shantae games to play with than only the first one, and YouTube videos of the others, so you guys might see an update for the GM 5.3a branch eventually. Any changes will be brought forward into the GM:S port as well, when that's done.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:59 pm

I know this community is as dead as many other forums these days, (A fair deal of it is my fault in more ways than one, and I sincerely apologize for that.) I'm still posting this update here for anyone on Google looking for fan game engines.

The Game Maker Studio ports and Game Maker 8.1 versions of this thing are done! It took me a while to learn all the new ways Studio handles things, and I fell victim to a few critical bugs that were eventually addressed. Now that I have passed those hurdles, it's possible to make Shantae fan games on modern Game Maker versions more easily now. Awesome Face I'm even considering using Studio for an original game project, now that I know what I'm doing with it.

*~*~*~*Download Link*~*~*~*

***Game Maker Studio Version***
(Requires Studio 1.4 and up.)

***Legacy Game Maker Versions***
(5.3a and 8.1)

*~*~*~*Mediafire Mirrors*~*~*~*

(5.3a and 8.1)

For some reason, guests can't click on the links, so here are the links themselves in a spoiler tag:

Spoiler:

Another upcoming Thanksgiving, another release. For those of you who would like to make a cute little Shantae fan game, this is for you! If you have any issues or have questions about using the template, send me an email, or give me a mention on my Twitter, Mr_Glaceon.

Last edited by .Luke on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add the Mediafire mirrors. Oops.)
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:29 pm

One more double post to say I've made the final versions of this thing! Unless somebody has bug reports for me, I've done everything I can to reasonably polish it on my own. Here's a simplified list of important fixes:

• Shantae remains perfectly still on the surface of the water, while still sinking and rising if you dive in fast enough. Her swimming sprites are properly aligned and set to the correct speed as well.

• The Mermaid Form is as close to its Risky's Revenge counterpart as I can get it. She moves at a similarly slow pace on land, (I played RR and this at the same time to help match the speeds; it's fairly close.) and she fires one dangerously fast bubble at a time that creates an explosion on impact while in the water.

• Mermaid Form's jump height isn't as high as well, to better match Risky's Revenge, and her diving animation locks its facing direction while in mid-air.

• The projectile object has seen itself a proper rewrite for the most part. It can destroy vases and make contact with walls in either Spider or Mermaid forms, instead of going through walls and enemies. Explodes on impact in all cases, as well as playing back sounds of its own instead of piggybacking that task to the resource manager; Studio's new audio engine is great. It no longer acts as a secondary camera object.

• Projectiles are also respawned when entering a new room. They failed to have some sort of persistence between not only transformations, but between rooms, so if you tried to fire venom as the spider after changing rooms, the game ends with an error; same result if you changed from the mermaid to the spider, and visa versa. (This was stupid easy to fix, although I knew it wouldn't be so easy for a newbie to address, so I felt bad for not seeing the problem sooner.)

• Shop Keeper no longer relies on the projectile to manage camera movement during the shopping sequence; it was stupid that I resorted to this odd dependency in the first place. He handles the camera position entirely himself with variables. It's far more efficient.

• Dance Step Timer on the HUD was not behaving properly in the Game Maker Studio version, so I changed the timing very slightly to fully cycle through all four stars before starting over. (This was not an issue for the 8.1 version.)

• An additional provision for the crawlspace surface types wasn't included for the Mermaid Form in the right and left collision sensors, so she could hop through them. Obviously, I had to fix that.

• Shantae Font Monospaced is fixed with proper numbers that match the original game. I made the mistake of drawing the numbers from the debug menu(?) in Shantae instead of the numbers seen in the finished game, so I corrected this issue.

• Additional sound playback bleeding I missed in the initial release of the Studio version.

• Many other little bugs I may have forgotten I patched up. I really should keep a proper changelog of these things.

Game Maker Studio Version - Final

Shantae Font For Game Maker 8.1 and Game Maker Studio Versions

Game Maker Legacy Versions (5.3a and 8.1)

*~*~*~*Mediafire Mirrors*~*~*~*

(5.3a and 8.1)

*~*~*~*Shantae Font at Fontstruct*~*~*~*

***Fontstruct Font For Game Maker 8.1 and Game Maker Studio Versions***

Guest Links:
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down