Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shantae in Smash Bros.

4 posters

Go down

Shantae in Smash Bros. Empty Shantae in Smash Bros.

Post by StayPuft Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Before all of this: sorry if this is in the wrong section. I figured it fit, but you never really know.

Hey everyone, my name is StayPuft. I'm a developer over at Super Smash Bros. Crusade, which is a smash bros. fangame featuring veterans to the smash brothers series like Sonic, Mario, and Donkey Kong, while also incorporating many newcomers including Crash Bandicoot, Ridley, Ryu from Street Fighter, Rayman, etc. etc.

Shantae in Smash Bros. ARPw1KP
Sprites and alternate colors by yours truly!

I'm currently running a campaign within the Crusade devteam to attempt to get Shantae in the game as a playable character!  So far opinions have been mixed considering... she really isn't that well-known, and that we are considering other characters that would be more recognizable than her at this point in time.
Why I'm making a topic here is because I'd like your help with forming a possible moveset for her. I'm pretty sure having a good moveset planned will help her chances of getting in this fangame. I already have a base moveset planned out, which includes four special moves and all the normals + a final smash, but I've only actually played Risky's Revenge, and really haven't touched the original game. I've attempted to include some things from the original game but I'm not 100% sure if they are completely accurate. I've also somewhat been out of the loop lately on Shantae news... I know there are new Shantae games coming out, but I'm not very knowledgable on anything new they're bringing to the table, and I'm not sure if there's anything amazing that I should be incorporating.

So, without further ado, here's my current moveset:
Spoiler:

So... yeah! I'd love some feedback on this. Anything to help make it better increases her chances of making it in.

StayPuft
New Scuttle Town Resident
New Scuttle Town Resident

: User
Location : At an undisclosed location in a nondescript building

Back to top Go down

Shantae in Smash Bros. Empty Re: Shantae in Smash Bros.

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi there, StayPuft.
I am glad you decided to join us.
Hope you will enjoy your stay.
But tbh, we are not the most active forum right now. ^^;

As for your suggestion: I am loving it.
Tho so far, I have had negative experience with the SSBC staff. So I am having my doubts this'll work.
Still, I'd give it a shot.

As for your moveset:
So far, it looks solid.
Tho some attacks I would replace:

The obvious one, the UP-Special.
I would replace with her Jump Kick special attack from the original Shantae.

I have played the original Shantae a ton of times, so I know how they work.

She can buy four special attacks in that game.
The one I am talking about here, if the Jump Kick.
She kicks straight up, while being lifted into the air.
Then, at the peak she will follow it up with another kick.
Then proceeds to curl herself in, spinning, until she hits the ground.

Another special attack is her Elbow Charge.
By holding the attack button for a few seconds, she can charge up and then perform an elbow-dash.
It starts out fast, but decelerates over time and stops until she either cancels it with a jump or comes to a complete halt.

The other two special attacks are follow-ups.
While performing either of the above two mentioned moves, Shantae can press the attack button again to follow it up with a stronger attack.
The follow-up attack for the Jump Kick is the Drill Kick. After reaching the peak of her jump, she will perform a Drill Kick diagonal down.
It ends once she hits the ground.

The follow-up for the Elbow Charge, is the Hair Twirl.
While elbow dashing, pressing the Attack button again, causes her to soar through the air with a spinning hair attack.
Depending on the speed during Elbow Dash, Shantae can cover more or less distance with that attack.
The Hair Twirl attack comes to a stop, as soon as she lands.

I would also love to see more of her items.
Like the Storm Puff, Vanish Creams and the sorts.
But oh well...

Anyway, I hope I could help you.
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Personally, I'd ditch the dance mechanic and just make Shantae's transformations instantaneous. Smash usually ignores standard game mechanics anyway.

Here's mine. A attacks are simple hair-whips and Fighter's Gear attacks, so they don't need much explanation.

B: Hair Twirl
Shantae spins in place to deflect projectiles and knock away enemies who get too close, but doing it too much makes her dizzy for a couple of seconds.

Forward-B: Monkey
Works like Pikachu's Skull Bash. Hold the button to build power, then let go to turn into a speedy monkey bullet.

Up-B: Harpy
Shantae turns into a Harpy and flies forward at an upward-angle, cutting enemies with razor-sharp talons.

Down-B: Elephant
Shantae turns into an elephant and makes a hop forward before stomping the ground. If performed in mid-air, she'll fall straight down on the spot.

Final Smash: Dance Fever
The field dims and a spotlight comes down on Shantae. She will begin dancing to the beat as an unseen audience throws gems at the field, damaging any opponent they hit. Hit the A button in time with the beat to send more gems flying.

Item: Storm Puff
Grab and throw it to make the Puff hover in place and shoot lightning towards the ground.

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Greetings, StayPuft. And very spiffin' sprites, if I may say so!

I had made a post here for the fun of it about a Smash moveset for Shantae,
with the specials being similar to those that Paragon-Yoshi had mentioned:
The spinning dive kick for Up-B and flying elbow charge for Forward-B.
The Neutral-B I had was a remote Storm Puff attack similar to Din's Fire, and Down-B was a dance that affected nearby opponents (with sleep).

I could see Shantae using her hair to grab opponents like a grappling rope and for tether recoveries, instead of just with her hands. I also like the idea of special items like the Pike Ball as part of her non-specials, like the Down-Smash Storm Puffs, or a brief orbiting Pike Ball as a Neutral Air-A. For a Final Smash, perhaps a blitz attack featuring all her different animal forms.

Even if people don't think that Shantae would make a good fit in a Smash Bros. roster, there really is a lot of potential for a solid moveset based on her moves in-game. It just depends on how you'd like her to play.

My original Shantae Smash post: HERE
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down