Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beta readers?

2 posters

Go down

Beta readers? Empty Beta readers?

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:36 am

Yup, I have a few stories for both Shantae and other games.

Only problem is, that I don't really have anyone to check my writing for mistakes. I used to have a friend read my stories, but now I'm just checking my stories myself, and the type of reviews (or lack of them) makes me think I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone lend a helping hand?

I'm still new to this writing game, so my writing isn't at a pro's level yet (darn XD). But what I think I need help in particularly is

• Pacing (Did the story start getting slow at a certain point? Did I just skip over something? Should I cut something out?)
  • Grammar (I don't really think this is problem for me, as I run my story through a spelling and grammar checker, but a reader said it "needed work" [and never told me where I messed up, btw. XD] The only thing that could become a problem is passive voice, but that's all that comes to mind.)
  • Characterization (are the characters interesting? Do you care about what they're doing? Do you wonder why they do what they do?

But of course, if you see any other kind of mistake, don't hesitate to tell me! Smile

And I have a few other questions:

• Would you be interested in beta reading non-Shantae related stories?
  • Which method in sending the text files be more efficient? Through sta.sh? Or by email?
  • What do you think about a crossover story between Shantae and another game franchise?
  • ...Is putting crushed peppermint into cookie dough a weird idea? (Seriously, my dad thinks I'm crazy for suggesting that. I found pre-mixed peppermint dough at the store and bought it. I hope it tastes good....

...And that's all I have for now. Any feedback is really appreciated! Extra Smile

(I'll also fill you in with all the details, of you're interested of course, I just don't want to add a wall of text yet XD)
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl
New Scuttle Town Resident

: User

Back to top Go down

Beta readers? Empty Re: Beta readers?

Post by .Luke Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:05 am

Before I say anything else, you have a good sense of humor with mentioning peppermint and cookie dough out of the blue. Awesome Face I need to try that eventually.

I wouldn't mind being a beta reader, personally. You've written some cute stories in the past that I enjoyed, and fit the characters pretty well. I'm usually reading text with my DS, or jotting something down on it, and my SD card adapter has gotten a lot more reliable since I stopped carrying it in my pocket. So I'd have time to not only review both short or long stories at the desk, I can do that away from it too.

If you'd have me as a virtual crash dummy with text, I can accept WIPs in whichever way is more convenient for you. Emailing the whole text file, sta.sh, dropbox links, etc. Depending on the length, it wouldn't take me too long to get back to you on feedback.

ZombieWolf-Girl wrote:Grammar (I don't really think this is problem for me, as I run my story through a spelling and grammar checker, but a reader said it "needed work" [and never told me where I messed up, btw. XD] The only thing that could become a problem is passive voice, but that's all that comes to mind.)

Ah, grammar is a daunting one, whether it comes to you naturally or not. Twisted Evil After finishing my first novel manuscript, my God was it rough going over all its problems. Grammar being the biggest offender, and there were lots of equally bad things, arguably. I found myself overusing lots of words, comma placement or usage was awful, I didn't break into new paragraphs frequently enough; the list goes on. Needless to say, it was a glorious train wreck of plot holes and basic writing don'ts. It took me a long time to make it polished and readable.

That was at least three years ago, so I learned a lot about writing since then. I wouldn't mind sharing some of my experience with you as a beta reader for Shantae and non-Shantae stories.

The more people that can give you pointers on story-telling, the better. There's a lot you can get from scrutinizing your work yourself, but it takes a while to go over everything, at least in my experience. Having other people look at your stuff can save you time.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:34 pm

.Luke wrote:Before I say anything else, you have a good sense of humor with mentioning peppermint and cookie dough out of the blue. Awesome Face I need to try that eventually.

Haha, thanks! I like to add a bit of humor in the things I do. I baked a batch of them, they taste really good Extra Smile

.Luke wrote:I wouldn't mind being a beta reader, personally. You've written some cute stories in the past that I enjoyed, and fit the characters pretty well.
Really!?
Beta readers? Fc,550x550,white.u3
Thank you so much! I'll do my best!

.Luke wrote:If you'd have me as a virtual crash dummy with text, I can accept WIPs in whichever way is more convenient for you. Emailing the whole text file, sta.sh, dropbox links, etc. Depending on the length, it wouldn't take me too long to get back to you on feedback.
Is that so? Well, I guess that won't be too difficult. One of the stories I wanted someone to look at is already online. The Shantae fic will probably be on sta.sh.  

.Luke wrote:Ah, grammar is a daunting one, whether it comes to you naturally or not. Twisted Evil

Aww, what? Well, I'm not surprised. I still have a lot of things to learn before I can go around stylizing my writing. Of course, I'll keep practicing! Wink

.Luke wrote:After finishing my first novel manuscript, my God was it rough going over all its problems. Grammar being the biggest offender, and there were lots of equally bad things, arguably. I found myself overusing lots of words, comma placement or usage was awful, I didn't break into new paragraphs frequently enough; the list goes on. Needless to say, it was a glorious train wreck of plot holes and basic writing don'ts. It took me a long time to make it polished and readable.

That was at least three years ago, so I learned a lot about writing since then. I wouldn't mind sharing some of my experience with you as a beta reader for Shantae and non-Shantae stories.

I hear you. I will never forget my very first comic series. Of course, prior to it, I made many short comics, but this was a series. A sonic comic series. ...with my OC, and characters based on me and my friends.... oh, and Shadow was there too. Good god, I cringe every time I think about it. What was anatomy, pacing... what was anything!?

Beta readers? Sad-numb

One day I'd like to actually go back and finish the story. And give it the justice it deserves. But just not now.

But still, thank you so much! You don't know how happy I am! Extra Smile
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl

: User

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:39 pm

My sis and I always enjoyed writing, so we both knew how important feedback is. While I can't say I've written as many stories as her, any chance to help another writer is a good one. Awesome Face You're welcome, I hope I can prove useful input.

ZombieWolf-Girl wrote:Haha, thanks! I like to add a bit of humor in the things I do. I baked a batch of them, they taste really good Extra Smile

Laughter's the best kind of medicine. Smile Those cookies do sound good.

ZombieWolf-Girl wrote:I hear you. I will never forget my very first comic series. Of course, prior to it, I made many short comics, but this was a series. A sonic comic series. ...with my OC, and characters based on me and my friends.... oh, and Shadow was there too. Good god, I cringe every time I think about it. What was anatomy, pacing... what was anything!?

I can relate to every bit of that, ouch. Pouting I tried making a comic myself at your age, but unlike you, I was terrible at drawing. So I applaud you taking art seriously much earlier on than I did.

It's like they say, screwing up is one of the best learning tools, as long as what you're learning is not how to screw up. Twisted Evil We all started somewhere.

Good luck with your writing. Practice is the key to any pursuit's success, and writing or art especially need lots of it.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum