Your Thoughts On Characters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which of the main characters is your favorite?

63% 63% 
[ 5 ]
13% 13% 
[ 1 ]
13% 13% 
[ 1 ]
13% 13% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 8

Your Thoughts On Characters

Post by Agent Gold on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Simple enough. Which characters in the series do you like? Which ones don't you like? What are your reasons and thoughts behind your choices?

One thing to keep in mind is that some characters (especially ones introduced in Risky's Revenge) might be worth spoiler tags at this point. It's no surprise for everyone to know about Shantae, Mimic, Bolo, Sky, Rottytops, and Risky Boots, but not everyone has been introduced to, say, that character from the end of Risky's Revenge (those who've finished the game should know who I mean). Use your judgement on whether it's a spoiler to know about someone or not!

Shantae is a character I really like, but that probably goes without saying. She's tough as nails and strong willed, but at the same time she doesn't come across as being "some aggressive guy in a girl's body" like you see in some stories/games. She seems very "real" to me in the way she acts. Every now and then she makes a bad choice (like insisting that she goes alone to do something), but you never see her being portrayed as being correct all along in doing so (another common trait I don't like seeing).
Risky's Revenge endgame spoiler:
She really takes the cake in adding a level of depth to herself with her sacrifice at the end of Risky's Revenge. At the end of GBC Shantae she says being a full genie is the thing she wants most, then in Risky's Revenge she has to destroy her genie side to save herself and the people she cares about. That's some deep stuff!

Bolo is another one I'm fond of for some reason. He's slow witted and pervy, but neither of these things seem to rule his character to the point that he becomes one-dimensional or a caricature or anything like that. I think this quote might be what made me like him so much (found it on a wiki, it was apparently on their official site at one point):

Shantae wiki wrote:Shantae's sparring partner is a slow-witted knucklehead with a serious lack of reasoning skills. He's hardly awake until he springs into action...usually at the chance to be a hero...and begins twirling his bolo balls. As a fighter, Bolo is very efficient and skillful, as though these moments of competence are sustained by his regular state of mental hibernation.

Now, Sky has somehow not earned much of a place in my heart. I'm cool with who she is and what she's like, and I'm fine with the combination of "bird trainer" and "tough gal" that I seem to get from her. For whatever reason, though, she hasn't rung out in my mind as being all that awesome--when I'm brainstorming ideas for scenarios that involve Shantae, I sometimes forget that Sky exists!

Rottytops is fun. She's probably as athletic as a dead person can be, and she's pretty good at seeming like an average spirited girl while still keeping up and playing up the zombie angle. Normally I might be creeped out by the fact that she seems to have some kind of fetish for Shantae's brain... but somehow this just makes her more endearing to me. Go figure.
Minor Risky's Revenge spoiler:
And the fact that the zombies need coffee to stay sentient struck home with me so strongly, I like to imagine it's true in other series as well.

I can't say much for Mimic other than that he's pretty cool. A kind-hearted guy who seems to have done it all and is on the cutting edge for science and new technologies even when it comes to devices that don't seem like they should exist yet? Yes, please.

Risky works pretty nicely as a villain. She seems incredibly fierce and aggressive and like she could stare a hole right through your soul when she gets angry. In my mind, she's already got the kind of charm that would make me feel fine no matter how many games she turned out to be the main villain in (a charm which I also see in Ganondorf for Zelda games). There doesn't seem to be that much depth to her, but she plays up what she's got pretty nicely.

And... those are my thoughts for ya! I'd love to see what others think about the cast, so have at it!

Last edited by Agent Gold on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scuttle Town Regular

: Self-Styled Hero

Back to top Go down

Re: Your Thoughts On Characters

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Shantae: It goes without saying that I love this character. Being the player's avatar throughout the games, I grew to love her not just because she looks adorable, but because of her personality, sense of justice, and determination to reach her goal.
Risky's Revenge spoiler:
Especially after she loses her genie half at the end of the second game.

Uncle Mimic: This character is very likable due to the fact that he's like family to Shantae - and, to an extent, the player. They really look up to him and trust his judgment and wisdom - until he tells you to go East instead of West. Then it's just hilarious.

Bolo: This character is hilarious. He's slow and perverted, but not to a point that it dominates his personality. Even so, there are times where he can spark my ire and rage. Thankfully, these are few and far between.

Sky and Wrench: These two are quite likable, mainly due to how helpful they are in the games.
Shantae series spoilers:
Namely, Sky using her bird Wrench as...well, a wrench...in both games to help Shantae in her adventure - opening a labyrinth in the first game, and repairing a coffee machine in the second game.

Rottytops: This character is very lovable due to her fun-loving personality and hilarious dialogue towards Shantae and other characters. Seriously though, I found her and her brothers so much more than amusing.

Risky Boots: This character is quite the amusing villain. Her innuendos and mannerisms are nothing short of amusing, especially if the player is old enough to get what her innuendos mean. It almost makes me forget that she's basically a female dog.

Last edited by ShantaeVocaloid on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:02 am; edited 3 times in total
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

: *blub blub* :3

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Shantae : What's there not to love about this character? She's authentically female (Seriously, there are too many conveniently tough and sexy ladies in video games these days! I loved how Metroid : the Other M changed that about Samus, for instance.) and really cares about those around her. She prefers not to drag her friends into missions, but isn't too stubborn to either accept or ask for a little help every now and then. That's the impression I got from her in the first game, and I wholeheartedly agree with the original poster's thoughts on Shantae's character as well.

Sky : I agree with Agent Gold that we don't see enough of Sky and Wrench in the games! She seems quite kind and helpful, which are both good attributes to have in a trade that involves raising giant birds for war. Unfortuntely, there isn't much else to see of her traits in-game, so we only have official sources to fill in the blanks. Outside of that, Sky still has a lot of charm, and her bird friend is rather comical! Gotta love how he can use his entire body like a wrench, hence the namesake. Personally, Sky's one of my favorite characters; can't wait to see more of her in future titles.

Bolo : When his mind isn't a hollow void filled with elevator music and attractive women, this guy is supposed to be a capable fighter. (Which is probably why he's the guardian of the water labyrinth.) I wish we could actually see him in action, hopefully in later installments to the series. He's also quite the flirt, feeling dumbstruct - even literally struct - by Risky Boots, the freakin' villainess pirate! Poor Bolo has quite a few obvious weaknesses trailing behind him, but that doesn't stop the guy from being one of Shantae's close friends, and that's saying something.

That's all I got for now, I'll post my thoughts on the others when I have collected/structured my thoughts about them a little further.

"Oh, and to address the poster above me.":

Er, ShantaeVocaloid, I didn't type over 70 vulgar slang terms into the curse filter just to see it so easily dodged like that! I must commend your cleverness, regardless, because now it has brought to my attention the partially-censored variants of those words as well; they're censored fully too as I type this. Even if it's covered in four stars, I'm sure us older folk could tell you meant female dog within the context of that last sentence. =P
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 am

.Luke wrote:Er, ****, I didn't type over 70 vulgar **** terms into the curse filter just to **** it **** easily dodged like that! I must commend your cleverness, regardless, **** now it has **** to my attention the partially-censored variants of those words as well; they're censored fully too as I type this. Even if it'**** covered in four ****, I'm **** us older folk could tell you meant female dog within the context of that last ****. =P

OHHHHH.

Aww, man. :x I'm...I'm irked, now; I can't even type up ****'**** name anymore.

Is...anyone able to turn it off? Please?
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:13 am

Luke must've messed with the filters.
Hope he fixes it ****. :/
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:16 am

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:Luke must've messed with the filters.
Hope he fixes it ****. :/

Oh thank God. I HONESTLY HOPE ****. I **** thought I **** myself over with this account...
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:19 am

I already know what the problem is.
Here...

A **** C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R **** T U V W X Y Z
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:31 am

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:I already know what the problem is.
Here...

A **** C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R **** T U V W X Y Z

Okay, I get it. **** we can't type words that **** with the letters **** or **** as of yet.

Here'**** hoping Luke gets on that problem posthaste.
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:43 am

Oh God, I didn't think the curse filter would be that picky over censoring words with astericks (*) in them, it's horribly derailing this topic. ;_; I am terribly sorry this error has happened and have reversed this curse. You should be able to fix your post, ShantaeVocaloid. It honestly scared the crap out of me see your post in such awful shape. I guess I'll have to continue pointing out partial censorings instead of pulling an epic fail like this again. D:

.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ShantaeVocaloid on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:56 am

.Luke wrote:Oh God, I didn't think the curse filter would be that picky over censoring words with astericks (*) in them, it's horribly derailing this topic. ;_; I am terribly sorry this error has happened and have reversed this curse. You should be able to fix your post, ShantaeVocaloid. It honestly scared the crap out of me see your post in such awful shape. I guess I'll have to continue pointing out partial censorings instead of pulling an epic fail like this again. D:

Ohhh...thank you so much, Luke. *hug* I'll get right onto fixing my post right now!
~
EDIT: Done. Hopefully, that'll be the last of these fiascos. Laughing
ShantaeVocaloid
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 am

I'm relieved to have resolved this colossal error when I did, and glad you're not sore at me. ^^' Dunno if I should remove the posts about this or just leave it be while the topic continues; probably the latter.

Now that I've learned this lesson, unfortunately the hard way, it shouldn't happen again! We should be able to continue with the topic now. xD
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Bolo is my favorite character (aside from Shantae herself.) In a female dominated story, he plays a very good male character. I will say, though, that I liked his black hair and yellow outfit from the first game better (I know this was mainly because of lack of color options on GBC.) It just looked better to me.

I always liked Rottytops even in the first game, and then only liked her more in the sequel. The way zombies work in this game is just too great.

Like everyone else has been saying, Sky needs more screen time, but I still like her anyway.

Mimic always reminded me of the bad guy from Sonic and Megaman. A friend of mine and I also somehow gained an inside joke on the first time you meet him in the first game, when he's flailing his arms in the air. No clue why.

Risky is a very good and unique villain. Too many villains are too obviously villainous and there's even too many that are the complete opposite (the close friend who changes into the main enemy type of deal.) Risky's just diabolically silly and a fun villain to find yourself up against.

On a side note: I always imagined that if we ever met Risky's dad, his name would be Rusty. I mean, what else could his name possibly be? I also feel the two of them wouldn't be on good terms.
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

: DINE AND DITCH!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Come to think of it, this topic could probably use a poll for everyone to click on their favorite main characters, but I'll leave that to the OP's fancy. xD Anyway, I've gathered my thoughts on the other guys. =P

Risky Boots : Quite possibly the most impetuous and bubbly villainess I've ever seen in any format of media, especially a video game. She's not afraid to play dirty to get her way, while also having the audacity to smile about it in the process! Risky is definitely crazy, but not insane like Joker is in the Batman universe! With the way she commands her Tinkerbats in the first game, ("Spank this one extra hard for mama!") she's probably not completely cruel to her lackies, at least; it must be everyone else on the seven seas that deserves the plank, arrgh!

Mimic : Please tell me I got that name right this time? Anyway, this novel old geezer seems to have his hands in just about any kind of tech he can get uncover! If there's a blueprint to it, his handy skills in science can make it a reality. His connection to Shantae is a little unclear, but they're both good friends regardless and I hope there's some kind of prequel in the future to help fill in those kinds of gaps.

Rotty Tops : An undead athlete is definitely something you rarely see! Rotty's zombie nature probably gets the better of her sometimes, but despite being difficult to trust that she won't eat your brains, she's fast, hip, and totally not brain-dead herself! If I had played the sequel, there's probably more I could say, but the first game unfortunately didn't really go into much detail on this character either.

The Genie Guardians : If I hadn't already put so many darned words into our curse filter, there are a lot of unfriendly words I could use to describe them! They were only willing to help Shantae so far.
"Shantae GBC spoiler":
True genies are already manipulative tricksters, but that "offer" they gave Shantae was just full of troll. "We can make you a full genie, but you have to live in our own little lala land away from it all!". "What about my friends?", she says, "**** no!" they said. >:O
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Gold on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:45 pm

.Luke wrote:Come to think of it, this topic could probably use a poll for everyone to click on their favorite main characters, but I'll leave that to the OP's fancy. xD

Aaaaand done! ("Vote cancelling allowed" makes sense for this, right?)

Of course, I would still encourage people to discuss their thoughts on the characters, rather than choosing one in the poll and leaving it at that!

Scuttle Town Regular

: Self-Styled Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:00 am

Yay, our first poll! ^^ Bet you can't guess which option I clicked on. =P The poll should be a great way to for everyone to definitively spell out their favorite character, but yeah, I hope everyone still posts their thoughts on most of the cast!
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Even though Shantae makes the game what it is, Bolo still deserves my vote. Here's to seeing more Bolo, maybe even as a playable character.
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

: DINE AND DITCH!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Most of what everybody's said on the rest of the cast is pretty close to my thoughts, but I've noticed that no one talks about Rotty's brothers, Abner Cadaver and Poe.

I'm just going to say right now that they are backstabbing scum. It's mentioned in the first game that Abner and Poe are bad influences on Rotty, and RR proves it by having the brothers sell out Shantae to Risky just so they can pick her brain for lunch (with a lifetime supply of coffee to go with it). And of course, Rotty lets herself become part of the deal only to learn too late that Risky's word isn't worth a penny. But Abner and Poe don't even try to sound sympathetic or betrayed. Rather, they just go "heck with it" and leave Shantae to her fate. Even for zombies, that's cold.

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum