Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game...

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Of course, at the moment it doesn't look like Shantae will ever make it into the third dimension.
But who knows what the future brings? Maybe someday...?

Anyway, what would a 3D-Shantae game look like?
Well of course, it'd be a combination of Platforming with "Zelda-style" Action Adventure elements.
Is that possible?

Well, allow me to show you a game that prove that it is.
Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon for the NINTENDO 64.
This one did combine the Zelda-typical 3D-gameplay with platforming. And it was a great game.
Here some gameplay-videos:

While the platforming and level-design could've been tweaked some more, it works perfectly as BASE for a Shantae 3D-game.
A lot of features from this game could be taken and converted. And it'd result in a decent Shantae-game already.
But like I said, in terms of platforming and level-design, it could need some tweaking.
So taking a look at 3D Mario and Zelda-games might give you some ideas on how it could be tweaked.

Speaking of design, what could work best as a design-style for Shantae?
Personally, I'd give the Cel-Shading style from "Zelda: The Wind Waker" a go.
If you wanna see it in action:

I could post more vids that shows stuff like Fireballs and Explosions. But I think you get the idea.
OF COURSE FOR THE CHARACTERS I WOULD STICK TO THE SHANTAE-ARTSTYLE, INSTEAD OF MAKING THEM LOOK LIKE CHIBI'S!
I was just talking about the overall cel-shading style. IMO it fits Shantae perfectly.

As for the Music-style: Of course, keeping the music-style of the Shantae games. Just some tweaking needed to properly upgrade them for the third dimension.

Now let's talk about the ACTIONS that Shantae could perform.
Of course, I would first take over all the actions that Shantae could perform so far.

- Move/Run
- Jump
- Duck/Crawl
- Swim
- Talk
- Hair Whip Attack
- Special Attacks
- Items (+ Inventory-Management)
- Dancing and Transforming

Now what kind of actions could we add?
First of all, the ability to HANG ON LEDGES. It's pretty much a common element of 3D-platformers.
Of course, when she is hanging on the ledge, she can either pull herself up and let go.
Maybe even allow Shantae to move sideways while hanging, for some diverse climbing-stages.

Speaking of CLIMBING: I would also like to add LADDERS, VINES and stuff that she can climb on.
If the MONKEY-FORM were to return, I would make it so that it can scale them faster than she can in her normal form, along with the ability to climb on surfaces that she can normally not grab on.

I would also like to add objects that she can INTERACT with, like LEVERS and stuff.
This would also include the ability to PICK UP objects and then either THROW them or put them back down.

Maybe we could also give her the ability to grab larger objects (like blocks) and then either PUSH or PULL them.
Could be great for puzzles.

As for ITEMS: I'd use the Zelda-typical way of handling items.
Means, set them to specific-buttons. And then use them by pressing those buttons.

I'd tweak SWIMMING, by giving Shantae the ability to DIVE and move underwater.
Obviously, she has a limited supply of air. You can refill it by resurfacing, swimming through air bubbles or collecting certain items.
If her Air-Gauge hits zero, her life will start to drop.

Now for DANCING:
First of all, I would ditch the completely automated way of Risky's Revenge and give you some more control over your dances, like in the GBC-original.
I'd do it in a similar way as in "Zelda: Ocarina of Time". You have a special button for dancing.
If you press it, everything around Shantae "freezes in time" and she will start dancing. You can then enter a string of commands.
If you enter the right series of buttons, the dance will take effect and then the action resumes.

Of course, Shantae would still be able to TRANSFORM. Since it's a central element of her character.
But I'd also like to introduce other kind of dances with different effects.
Such as the ability to activate/awaken certain objects or life-forms and other stuff.

I dunno if I forgot anything. If I did, I will edit it in later.
Either way, I think you can get a perfect picture of a 3D-Shantae now. At least how I imagine it.

Is it any good? Or would you handle things differently?
Feel free to post your thoughts. Extra Smile
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game...

Post by Maetch on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:36 am

In both games so far, Shantae has proven to be a very land-locked character when in normal form. In the first game, just hitting the water is fatal. In RR, she can only float on the surface. Since her limited water mobility seems to be considered part of her character, I don't think her human self needs many water abilities. At most, she should be able to float and do an occasional dive for like 3 seconds before coming back up (no air meter, since she's not actually going under long enough to need one).

For actual underwater work, Shantae would need a transformation. The problem of RR was that Shantae had to be on land to dance, which meant that once she had transformed into a mermaid, she'd have to crawl very slowly to get to the water, making her a sitting duck. So instead of a mermaid, a fishgirl form like Zora Link in Majora's Mask would work better. For one thing, having feet will make it easier for her to get into the water after dancing. Plus, it would open up the possibility of combat and exploration options on both land AND water.

Outside of that, your 3D concept is pretty on-the-ball.

Last edited by Maetch on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm all for a 3D Shantae. I do agree with Paragon about the chibis too. That's the only thing I'm worried about as far as character design goes.

Otherwise, there is a lot of possibility with a 3D Shantae. It would naturally play similarily to the 3D Zelda games, but that's not a bad thing nor is it a copy. Okami anyone?
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

: DINE AND DITCH!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Maetch wrote:In both games so far, Shantae has proven to be a very land-locked character when in normal form. In the first game, just hitting the water is fatal. In RR, she can only float on the surface. Since her limited water mobility seems to be considered part of her character, I don't think her human self needs many water abilities. At most, she should be able to float and do an occasional dive for like 3 seconds before coming back up (no air meter, since she's not actually going under long enough to need one).
So like Link in OoT and MM, eh?
Well, that could work.

But I still think that diving and swimming underwater could work for her.
Personally, I see no reason why she wouldn't be able to do it.

But either way works. Wink

For actual underwater work, Shantae would need a transformation. The problem of RR was that Shantae had to be on land to dance, which meant that once she had transformed into a mermaid, she'd have to crawl very slowly to get to the water, making her a sitting duck. So instead of a mermaid, a fishgirl form like Zora Link in Majora's Mask would work better. For one thing, having feet will make it easier for her to get into the water after dancing. Plus, it would open up the possibility of combat and exploration options on both land AND water.
Agreed in the Fishgirl. And you know that I had pretty much the same idea for my game concept from a while ago. Wink

It could still be useful, even if Shantae is normally able to dive and swim underwater.
For instance, she'd swim a lot faster in this form. And secondly, she'd be able to breate underwater.
Thus, she can reach places underwater that she can normally not reach, due lack of air supply or other obstacles.

Outside of that, your 3D concept is pretty on-the-ball.
Glad to hear that. Extra Smile

BossFight wrote:I'm all for a 3D Shantae. I do agree with Paragon about the chibis too. That's the only thing I'm worried about as far as character design goes.
Well, you could always use the Wind Waker-like cel-shading style, while keeping the Shantae-typical artstyle and body proportions.

Otherwise, there is a lot of possibility with a 3D Shantae. It would naturally play similarily to the 3D Zelda games, but that's not a bad thing nor is it a copy. Okami anyone?
I don't think it should play exactly like Zelda or Okami. Since Shantae is also a platformer.
Which is why I've shown "Goemon" as an example of how a Platforming-Zelda combo can look like. Smile
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:32 am

Zelda does have some platforming, but it's rather limited and down-to-earth, especially with no button dedicated to jumping; Link does that automatically while running over a ledge. I think the Tomb Raider series is a good example of both platforming and puzzle-solving, except of course there's more shooting than hand-to-hand combat action, which Shantae and Co. specializes in. Tomb Raider Anniversery Edition, I think, would work very well as a base model concept, or simply inspiration, since you'd need to add a lot more concepts to make a Zelda-style HUD, overworld, and inventory work with it. Either way, the guys at WayForward have played with their own ideas for a 3D Shantae before on an SDK for the Gamecube, so who can really speculate what they'll do when they get the chance to make it happen? xD (Not exactly the point of this topic, I know, just thowing that point in there.)

As for cel-shading, I've seen it work very well for games like Jet Set Radio and Wind Waker, (I've played and owned both games.) but for Shantae it might be a bit...jarring to look at stylized and simplied shading, especially given how complex the shading is in Risky's Revenge. Personally, I would expect a more "baked" or realistic approach to lighting in a 3D Shantae game, because there just isn't much room for a lot of depth and detail when you rely more on base colors than textures for that.

Cel-shading is also more difficult to optimize in some cases where a second layer of inverted, one-sided polygons is meshed over a model, so that the engine's 3D culling effect would give the illusion of outlines on a character. (As you can imagine, it doubles the poly-count on everything.) It's not done like that in all cel-shading techniques, but still, it's all-around more challenging to pull off, especially if Shantae's first 3D debut happens on the 3DS. (I know that system's specs look almost as nice as the Wii's, but anything to keep the game's framerate at a solid 30, or better yet 60 FPS, would be great.) I've seen a lot of nice-looking 3DS titles slow down a lot, it'd suck royal donkey balls if poor engine performance and constant frame-lag happened on Shantae's first 3D game. ;_;
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 am

Seeing as they're currently focusing on Adventure Time and will be until about Fall, I could imagine a 3D game going on Wii U, likely after a 3DS side-scroller to finish up the RR storyline.

But any way the game goes from here, I've got faith because they definitely put in their best efforts when it comes to Shantae.

BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:04 pm

Why does everyone keep IGNORING the "Goemon" Videos I posted?
They should be a perfect example.

Tomb Raider is more like Climbing, puzzling and shooting, instead of a platformer.
When I think of a platformer, I think of games like "Mario" or "Donkey Kong" or "Banjo-Kazooie".

Yes, Zelda does have limited platforming. But this is NOT what I was referring to here.
I was referring to platforming-mechanics like in the above mentioned games.

I still think "Goemon" is the perfect example on how Zelda-typical 3D-gameplay combined with Mario-esque platforming works.

I disagree about Cel-Shading. If done correctly, it'd look great on Shantae.
Also, a game's artstyle doesn't necessarily have to remain EXACTLY the same.
I mean compare, Ocarina of Time with Wind Waker. And you should know what I mean. Wink

In the end, it's all a matter about how well it is done.
And in terms of design, the possibilities are endless.
You could even combine Cel-Shading with the artstyle that you prefer for Shantae.
I still think it has the potential to be good.

When it comes to complexity and data space: I have no idea, honestly.
I am only talking about what I personally think would look and play good. Nothing more.
And I don't think it's impossible to do it on a 3DS. (But even then, it doesn't have to be on a 3DS.)
I have seen games like "Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance" running perfectly on the 3DS. Despite their rather complex graphics.
So it's certainly NOT an impossibility. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:06 pm

Actually, I haven't been ignoring the Goemon videos, I just can't see them on my phone, which what I get on this site with.

Though if it's anything like Vexx if you want to look that up, then I've got a pretty good idea.

Far as the cel-shading thing goes, I'm for it. I actually think going simolar to Skyward Sword works too.
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:27 pm

I've only ignored the video because I can't stand non-hardware accelerated video players; I can't quietly enjoy a Youtube video without the CPU fan on either of my machines going insane, even with headphones on! I have to use a MP4 Youtube downloader to watch anything in peace with a media player; will do that later for the vid you posted. Also, the Wind Waker is somewhat of a spin-off of the core Zelda titles, else the drastic change in art direction would have pissed off too many fans.

And Paragon, it's not just that cel-shading bumps up the size of game resources, rather that any method I can mention is more difficult to keep running at a smooth frame-rate than a natural lighting system, especially in more detailed environments. Cel-shading wouldn't be a bad thing in Shantae if done correctly, (And like BossFight mentioned, Skyward Sword is a good example.) but I'd rather WayForward not screw up Shantae's first 3D iteration with abysmal lagging or poor frame-rate if it only complicates the development of the game's graphics renderer. Performance shouldn't be an issue if they had the chance to pull a XBOX LIVE or PSN release, but on the 3DS, (Which I believe is more likely, since development costs might not be as high.) you really can't afford to get lazy with more LUA scripts than actual machine code. (Sonic 06, I'm looking right at you, and that was on the 360!)
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:24 pm

Man, seriously. You don't have to do super complex graphics.
If the Wind Waker-quality is a little too much, simply tone it down a little. Until it works.

But I wouldn't underestimate the 3DS.
Like I said, games like "Super Mario 3D Land" or "Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance" look beautiful and run smoothly.
So if you go for a similar quality, you can't go wrong. At least I'd say that.

Also.
I've only ignored the video because I can't stand non-hardware accelerated video players; I can't quietly enjoy a Youtube video without the CPU fan on either of my machines going insane, even with headphones on! I have to use a MP4 Youtube downloader to watch anything in peace with a media player; will do that later for the vid you posted.
I urge you to. Since it's a good example, if you ask me.

Also, the Wind Waker is somewhat of a spin-off of the core Zelda titles, else the drastic change in art direction would have pissed off too many fans.
WRONG! It's a canon game.
The story plays after and continues the story of Ocarina of Time.
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Maetch on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:WRONG! It's a canon game.
The story plays after and continues the story of Ocarina of Time.
So did Twilight Princess, and both it and WW act as if the other game never happened.

Unlike, say, Metroid, Nintendo has never kept a clear timeline of the Zelda games. However, they've only recently made one up which they claim is "official" (link provided): http://kotaku.com/5871215/the-official-zelda-timeline-now-with-added-detail

But enough about that. Back to Shantae.

Maetch
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am

While it's true that the Zelda-timeline is not so clear at some parts, it's really clear with TP and WW.
Wind Waker followed up Ocarina of Time.

Twilight Princess came after and it plays BETWEEN Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.
(At least that's the info I have).
It's too bad that the plot is so messy. And Ganondorf doesn't make sense there.
So TP is a rather bad entry for the Zelda-series.
(Also because of Wolf Link and those stupid Tear-Hunts, that were WAY TOO LONG AND POINTLESS!)

But yeah, back to Shantae. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:54 am

I actually find Twilight Princess to be one of my favorites. The placement in the timeline for a Zelda game shouldn't be focused on too much. I actually think they never should have made that official timeline, which really doesn't make much sense. It seems like the demand was just too great though, so they had to make something up.

Anyway, I do think Shantae's graphics should be anime-esque to fit with the art style they had in mind. One thing I also want to see is a 3D Tewin Mint use. How awesome would all that double action be?
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Gold on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm

The tricky part of the Zelda timeline is the split that occurs in Ocarina of Time because the past and future each get their own continuation (plus, apparently now there's a third "what if" split). But I'm not here to talk about that.

Mystical Ninja might be a good starting place. I seem to remember a few occasional physics flaws and frustrations with platforming moments that were just a bit trickier than they should've been, forcing you to climb back up and try again multiple times. WayForward seems to be good at accounting for this (i.e. making Risky's Revenge platforms larger on the iOS version since the controls are less reliable), so that shouldn't be problematic. One thing I think would be a really nice improvement would be the auto-lock-on feature for projectiles that Metroid: Other M uses--it seems really reliable and might be helpful since I remember aim being a little tricky in that game (which may have led to occasional "spray and pray" tactics).

The most triumphant example I know of cel shading resembling anime (with a smooth frame rate to boot) is Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 (note: NOT Tenkaichi). Since Shantae artwork looks a bit anime like, is this what you're looking for? (Normally I'd grab a gameplay video, but it's a bit inconvenient to do so from my phone.)

Scuttle Town Regular

: Self-Styled Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Agent Gold wrote:One thing I think would be a really nice improvement would be the auto-lock-on feature for projectiles that Metroid: Other M uses--it seems really reliable and might be helpful since I remember aim being a little tricky in that game (which may have led to occasional "spray and pray" tactics).
It'd rather not do that. Otherwise it'd feel too much like a shooter.

If you want to aim, then make it like in Skyward Sword.
Aka, zoom in the camera to a nigh First-Person view, aim with the crosshair and shoot.
OR make it when you ready the item, a line will indicate where it will head to, prior to using it.

The most triumphant example I know of cel shading resembling anime (with a smooth frame rate to boot) is Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 (note: NOT Tenkaichi). Since Shantae artwork looks a bit anime like, is this what you're looking for? (Normally I'd grab a gameplay video, but it's a bit inconvenient to do so from my phone.)
I still prefer Wind Waker. Skyward Sword might also be a good candidate.

Budokai 2 looked kinda... strange. There are better Cel-Shading examples, if you ask me.
Like Okami or Viewtiful Joe. Though whether or not they fit, decide for yourself.
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:08 pm

As far as my opinion goes, I'm probably most fine with Wind Waker or Skyward Sword style. But I also don't want it "like" either of those two, just as a kind of starting point, but Shantae with its art-style needs to have its own thing with the graphics. The characters' 3D designs should be reminiscent of the character art that portrays Shantae and the others.

With the targeting thing, I'm kind of torn between how I feel would be best. I definitely know I do NOT want the mechanics for shooting a fireball having her shoot one directly in front of where she's looking upon hitting a button, because more often than not that type of mechanic is clunky and stiff. Kind of like how Paragon said using a line, I'd probably most prefer ranged attacks be used in a 3rd-person crosshair aim.

Though while it can easily changed, Shantae's long-ranged combat is usually low in comparison to all her abilites. If I recall correctly, in the first game her only true long-ranged attacks were her fireball-hadouken and her spider venom. In the sequel she gets two versions of the fireball. I wouldn't say the Storm Puff would really be used as a long ranged attack even in a 3D game.
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:00 am

I have to agree with BossFight on cel-shading. Every studio that uses it developed their own "style" and made it work for their games, so simply copying anyone else's outright from other games just wouldn't feel natural for the series, so using it as inspiration would make more sense. If anyone knows how shading Shantae's world in three dimensions should work best, it'd be the guys at WayForward themselves. I've seen natural lighting work beautifully in other cartoony-looking games, (Sonic Unleashed, anyone?) but I'm sure that if they did experiment with cel-shading, they'd do it their way, and that style would be far more fitting than any other examples we could conjure up. Wind Waker has a really simple art-style, for example, so the devs at Nintendo went all minimalistic with the cel-shading. Shantae's appearance is almost as complex as any anime character's, so she might need something slightly more complex, hopefully not to the point that it's hardly a noticeable effect, like it is in the Darkness II.

And I never gave aiming attack items much thought. Star Fox Adventures handled elemental shots with Krystal's staff pretty well, but it probably wouldn't work for a quick shot of flames in a Shantae game; something tells me aiming things might require a completely original solution to make it exectute cleanly, and hopefully without crosshairs. It should feel automatic enough in her facing direction without being unnaturally stiff or inflexible, especially with multiple enemies in the way.

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:While it's true that the Zelda-timeline is not so clear at some parts, it's really clear with TP and WW.
Wind Waker followed up Ocarina of Time.

Twilight Princess came after and it plays BETWEEN Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.
(At least that's the info I have).
It's too bad that the plot is so messy. And Ganondorf doesn't make sense there.
So TP is a rather bad entry for the Zelda-series.
(Also because of Wolf Link and those stupid Tear-Hunts, that were WAY TOO LONG AND POINTLESS!)

You're calling the biggest plot twist in the series thus far a quick and dirty plug for its best villian? You can't be serious! ;_; And the wolf form was actually pretty cool, unlike some other pesky hedgehog's cheap take on the idea. =P

I'm really thinking we should create a topic for discussing the Zelda timeline, this is really starting to snowball into its own discussion, and a great love for my top-favorite Zelda release (Twilight Princess) with its deep and involving story is starting to kick in; I really don't wanna knock your topic off its rails. xD
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:37 am

I have to agree with BossFight on cel-shading. Every studio that uses it developed their own "style" and made it work for their games, so simply copying anyone else's outright from other games just wouldn't feel natural for the series, so using it as inspiration would make more sense.
That was EXACTLY what I was referring to. And I posted examples on what could be used as BASE!
I NEVER said anything about copying!

Why do you keep putting words into my mouth that I never said?

I won't say anything more to Zelda.
(TP still was a disappointment. SS is MUCH better!)
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:
I have to agree with BossFight on cel-shading. Every studio that uses it developed their own "style" and made it work for their games, so simply copying anyone else's outright from other games just wouldn't feel natural for the series, so using it as inspiration would make more sense.
That was EXACTLY what I was referring to. And I posted examples on what could be used as BASE!
I NEVER said anything about copying!

Why do you keep putting words into my mouth that I never said?

I won't say anything more to Zelda.
(TP still was a disappointment. SS is MUCH better!)

I went ahead and made a Legend of Zelda topic under Video Games, so we can discuss all that there. Also I don't think anyone was saying you said to copy Wind Waker, just that they agreed it shouldn't copy. Shantae basically takes a base style and uses it in creative ways anyway, especially with how the first Shantae played. I've got high hopes for what a 3D Shantae could do though.
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Okay. That's good to know. Extra Smile
Then we can get back to 3D Shantae. Wink

BTW: Something minor about LEDGE-HANGING.
I'd also like Shantae to be able to attack with her hair-whip, while hanging.
And similar manner as Kazooie's Pecking-Attack while hanging in Banjo-Tooie. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent Gold on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:I still prefer Wind Waker. Skyward Sword might also be a good candidate.

If a Shantae game were to use the graphics from these ones as a base, which qualities do you like that you'd like to see them use? No hard black outline? Vibrant color scheme? Just the effects like flames, or more to do with character models?

I know the graphics in Wind Waker are plain old beautiful, but I'm curious to hear which traits you like from these ones that you'd like to see get used.

Scuttle Town Regular

: Self-Styled Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:05 am

Good. For a moment, it sounded like you loathe the idea. Razz
Anyway...

I just think the color-style of Wind Waker, works well for Shantae. Of course, I am all for evolving it in whatever way.
And yes, the effects would look very nice as well. Fireballs, water-effects, the dust...
I would really love to see those or similar effects in a 3D-Shantae games. Since they look so breathtaking and make the game look more lively. Wink

As for the characters: Well, like I said, I'd make them look like in their official character art, with the color-style of Wind Waker used as a base.
I would NOT make them look like chibi's like Wind Waker did. Smile
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:28 pm

That talk about Wind Waker reminded me of how you can play through again in Link's starting clothes.

How cool would it be to be able to play through the game in different outfits on a new Shantae, like Sky's (minus the hood of course) or Risky's.

Wait! Sorry, a bit off topic but I got distracted again: What kind of hair does Sky have under that hood anyway? I'd take a guess that it's probably pretty long and flowing-like.
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 pm

I also have been thinking about an alternate costume, as a special reward. Wink
I thought about her Bikini first. But... I dunno. Would that go too far? ^^;

But unlike Wind Waker, I'd also like to give players the choice to switch back to Shantae's normal outfit, if they like it more.
Which is what I hated about Wind Waker. (I dislike Link's casual clothes and prefer the Hero's clothes.)
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:15 am

I think the bikini would probably come off as a quick rip-off of Lara Croft's alt costumes in Tomb Raider games, and to be honest, I think Shantae's hindquarters should remain concealed, given the kid-friendly ratings the series has so far. Can't have twelve-year old boys wanting to unlock a bikini costume just to "examine it" in morbid detail with close-up camera angles. xD

The whole running around in your PJs in Wind Waker was pretty funny too, but yeah, the effect wore off on me after a while. Sure would have been neat to find the green tunic at shops, so that you could buy it again if a likelike ate it and reduced you to your jammies again! xD There a lot of things they could done for a new game plus, but the hyrulean text translations were nice enough to justify going through it again in your underwear. =P

BossFight wrote:How cool would it be to be able to play through the game in different outfits on a new Shantae, like Sky's (minus the hood of course) or Risky's.

That would be pretty cool if you ask me. If you can unlock an Athena costume in God of War II, why not watch Shantae run around in a pirate outfit for kicks on a new game plus? xD

BossFight wrote:Wait! Sorry, a bit off topic but I got distracted again: What kind of hair does Sky have under that hood anyway? I'd take a guess that it's probably pretty long and flowing-like.

*gets crazy idea for a new fan art piece of Sky in casuals at the market place >:D*
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: