Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vib Ribbon : A Wonderful Little Game Even More Obscure Than Shantae! *Gasp*

2 posters

Go down

Vib Ribbon : A Wonderful Little Game Even More Obscure Than Shantae! *Gasp* Empty Vib Ribbon : A Wonderful Little Game Even More Obscure Than Shantae! *Gasp*

Post by .Luke Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:22 am

Has anyone even heard of this game? I'd bet not! I was just recently introduced to it by my friend, OddWorldianPrincess, on Skype. It only saw a release in PAL and NTSC-J regions for the PSX, (The original Playstation for you younger Shantae fans, not the PS1!) and never had an English print run in North America. This makes it incredibly rare to come by in physical form. (My friend was lucky to get it for $80 from her friend on dA.) Quite sad, this game's genius gameplay and art style is on par with LittleBigPlanet's presentation, I am not kidding! Why this game never recieved more attention is nigh tear-inducing, it's cute poly-lined art style and catchy songs only add to the revolutionary gameplay.

I highly recommend watching Vib Ribbon's tutorial level before you see it in-game. It not only explains how it's played, but does so in depth, and the character's reactions are hilarious. To top it off, the song playing and being sung by the character is a severe case of earworm; I watched the video multiple times just because of the song! Adorable on a multitude of levels. :3

Now for some actual game play.

Now here's what might make you jet-crap your knickers through the window. (Sorry if the exaggeration puts a hilariously crude image in your head, I'm just struggling to articulate how I feel about this game any way I can.) There's an infinite possiblility as far levels go! When you select Play Your Own CD, the game asks for you to take out the game disc from the Playstation, and pop in your own music CD! (Even burnt mixed CDs, obviously.) The game generates level obstacles based on the soundwaves from the music, and the game's speed changed based on the song's tempo too! Now think about all those music CDs sitting there on your shelf, that's hundreds, if not thousands of levels for you to play right there! Go nuts! This game beats the **** out of DDR in so many ways it's not funny, the replay value is insane here.

The difficulty is pretty much determined by the speed and intensity of the song. Some slow jazz or classical music will be an easy way to start off, but pop in some metal or hardcore rock if you want to make yourself cry from the sheer challenge!

If you decide to take the emulation route, do note that the Japanese version will not work past the title screen. You'll need an original PAL disc or rip, which are not available for download on the Internet. (Obviously the morally questionable route, but the option's not there either way.) So long as you have a Sony Console, from the PSX to the PS3, and enough cash to drop on an original disc, you're good to go as far as running it out of the box.

So, are you guys as blown away as I am? :'D
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Vib Ribbon : A Wonderful Little Game Even More Obscure Than Shantae! *Gasp* Empty Re: Vib Ribbon : A Wonderful Little Game Even More Obscure Than Shantae! *Gasp*

Post by Nai255 Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:40 am

Haha, that's amazing! I'd expect nothing less from NanoOn-Sha.
And custom levels based on your own music? This one was certainly ahead of it's time : )
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Vib Ribbon : A Wonderful Little Game Even More Obscure Than Shantae! *Gasp* Empty Re: Vib Ribbon : A Wonderful Little Game Even More Obscure Than Shantae! *Gasp*

Post by .Luke Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:35 pm

So you know who the developers are? I didn't know if they made anymore games besides this one. XD Do they even have a Wikipedia article? D: *checks*

And yeah, even mainstream music games like DDR or Guitar Hero won't let you play your own music like Vib Ribbon does! They force you to pay for useless DLC to have extra songs, but Vibri's happy with whatever you've got to put in the disc tray! I love that, I can play almost any song I can burn to a disc. XD

Also, I just got the chance to actually play it a couple nights ago, and let me tell you, this game is not as easy as it looks! Starts off slow and easy to time, but Vib Ribbon at faster speeds would make any diehard Guitar Hero player cry from the sometimes confusing combination of obstacles that shift, rotate, vibrate, and the constantly shifting camera angle might throw some newbies off too. Vib Ribbon can be just as hard as it is easy.

I don't think I'll ever play other music games again, unless it's half as creative as this one. Vib Ribbon is actually a challenge, and with a real freaking controller too! Who needs a clicky dance mat, or some stupid plastic guitar that shames real instruments, when you can play this with your good ol' Dual Shock One, with vibration support turned on! No gimmicky accessories required besides CDs you already own! Why this didn't see a release in the US is honestly boggling, considering it got a Greatest Hits reprint in Japan.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down