Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potential fan-fiction?

3 posters

Go down

Potential fan-fiction?  Empty Potential fan-fiction?

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:17 pm

It's just a simple thought. There are only about 6/7 fan fictions in the Shantae archives on fanfiction.net and I was thinking: "I should write one myself!" but then there was another thought that came up with that one, "What exactly am I going to write?" Considering that I haven't played the very first game (Risky's revenge was my first game) it's most likely not going to have anything that the first game has. Sad 

Instead I remember the ending in Risky's revenge, where Rottytops and her brothers sell out Shantae for her brains and a lifetime supply of coffee (which their end of the deal wasn't fulfilled) Rotty runs away crying, and Shantae gets mad at Risky for turning her friends against each other. And I was thinking that since Shantae doesn't appear to be feeling betrayed, and since Rottytops is (most likely) going to be in Pirate's curse, she probably does make amends to Shantae....  

...So what do you think? a doable story? any thoughts you want to add? I'm all ears!
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl
New Scuttle Town Resident

: User

Back to top Go down

Potential fan-fiction?  Empty Re: Potential fan-fiction?

Post by .Luke Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:20 am

Wow, there's really that little fan fiction about Shantae? O: I know Shantae's not a world wide sensation, (yet) but I thought there'd be more than that on fanfiction.net. Either way, it's a good initiative to put more content out there yourself. ^^ It's like with anything else in life, if you want to see it happen, you gotta do it yourself. Twisted Evil

Anyway, yeah, there's a potential story for that. WayForward is on rails to launch Pirate's Curse sometime this year, but you'd still have quite a few months to write a story about it.

A lot of good fanfiction doesn't have to be novel-length either, so it could be a short story to fill in a couple gaps too; the sky's the limit. I know my sister did a lot of (Sometimes hilarious.) short stories in fan fiction, to play around with personality traits of the characters she was writing fanficiton of, and it helped her get a lot more familiar with them; which really stood out in her serious fictions, because they really did act in character in her stories.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Axol The Axolotl Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:05 pm

It's a little hard to do fanfiction right now of a series with such a small canon.
you could try, if you put your mind to it.
Axol The Axolotl
Axol The Axolotl
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

: Skin maker

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:38 am

That is a good thought, Axol. We barely know much of anything about the series' lore, which may see some light in Pirate's Curse, so that's a lot of blanks fan fiction writers will have to fill in themselves. This wouldn't deter the few dedicated to the fanfiction scene, however, that only gives them fewer limitations with their writings.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:57 am

.Luke wrote:Wow, there's really that little fan fiction about Shantae? O: I know Shantae's not a world wide sensation, (yet) but I thought there'd be more than that on fanfiction.net. Either way, it's a good initiative to put more content out there yourself. ^^ It's like with anything else in life, if you want to see it happen, you gotta do it yourself. Twisted Evil

Anyway, yeah, there's a potential story for that. WayForward is on rails to launch Pirate's Curse sometime this year, but you'd still have quite a few months to write a story about it.

A lot of good fanfiction doesn't have to be novel-length either, so it could be a short story to fill in a couple gaps too; the sky's the limit. I know my sister did a lot of (Sometimes hilarious.) short stories in fan fiction, to play around with personality traits of the characters she was writing fanficiton of, and it helped her get a lot more familiar with them; which really stood out in her serious fictions, because they really did act in character in her stories.
Yeah, majority of the fanfics in the Shantae archive is mostly by Incredibleintruder. So there about three different authors. There are many stories revolving around certain characters and types of stories that I feel are lacking in the archives, so that's why I'm currently thinking of many stories to write in several archives. Yup, it makes it all the more fun when I do it myself since I either do good or fail by my own strength.

A couple months is all I need. At the moment though, I have some other projects I'm preparing to publish and such, so I'll start on this fanfic once I find Rottytops in the first Shantae game. (I gotta admit the first game is difficult)

I'm pretty sure any Shantae fanfic I'll write are going to be mostly one-shots until we learn about Sequin land's lore a little more.  

Your sister wrote short stories? I did that along with drawings for certain characters too. It helps me see the characters better. Wink Anyways, thanks for taking the time to reply (and sorry for responding so late) it is very appreciated!
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:59 am

Axol The Axolotl wrote:It's a little hard to do fanfiction right now of a series with such a small canon.
you could try, if you put your mind to it.
Thanks, Axol. The characters and franchises I'm writing in are kind of hard to work with, but it'll be totally worth it once I publish my stories. Thanks for the comment and the inspiration Extra Smile 
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:20 pm

ZombieWolf-Girl wrote:Yeah, majority of the fanfics in the Shantae archive is mostly by Incredibleintruder. So there about three different authors. There are many stories revolving around certain characters and types of stories that I feel are lacking in the archives, so that's why I'm currently thinking of many stories to write in several archives. Yup, it makes it all the more fun when I do it myself since I either do good or fail by my own strength.

A couple months is all I need. At the moment though, I have some other projects I'm preparing to publish and such, so I'll start on this fanfic once I find Rottytops in the first Shantae game. (I gotta admit the first game is difficult)

I'm pretty sure any Shantae fanfic I'll write are going to be mostly one-shots until we learn about Sequin land's lore a little more.  

Your sister wrote short stories? I did that along with drawings for certain characters too. It helps me see the characters better. Wink Anyways, thanks for taking the time to reply (and sorry for responding so late) it is very appreciated!
Yeah, she did, and don't worry about the late reply. ^^ And whoa, yeah, that's pretty skimpy indeed, but I'm sure you could put a lot more variety in there. There are lots of themes that haven't been explored yet, so you have lots of room to go in whichever direction you fancy, almost.

That's a good point, there isn't too much to work with until more is revealed, and self-contained stories would be still be great either way.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Potential fan-fiction?  Empty Progression :D

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:30 am

In fact, now my mind thought up of three more ideas. I can kind of see my first idea (Rottytops mending her friendship with Shantae) slowly becoming something in my head. I also have two other interesting ideas (The fourth one's not as interesting so I'll leave that out for now)

(Idea #2)
Remember how Risky disguises herself as a guardian genie? She suggests this to Shantae, "Also, you should try cutting your hair short sometime! it would look awfully cute in a bob!"
That really got an idea running in my head for an alternative ending for Shantae... *evil laughs*  

(Idea #3)
Have you ever noticed the amazing number of thefts going on in scuttle town? A woman's magic jams are stolen by monsters, Wobblebell is dognapped, Mimic's steam engine and the lamp are stolen, and there is also a cloaked NPC who claims to have owned a pet monkey, which ran away and wonders where it went- talking to the magic jam woman might suggest that she ATE the monkey "I ate a monkey once. I'm not proud of it." Surprised(Obtain the mermaid dance, and get to the baby squid part, she'll say it)

Because of that, I was thinking about writing a shortfic based on the less serious crimes that Shantae has to protect the town from. Since Sequin land is similar to Agrabah (Aladdin- did I spell it right?), I'm guessing there would be a bunch of theives and orphan/urchins. Why not incorporate that into Shantae? After all, a new rival character can make life more interesting for Shantae Wink

... That's about all I can think of right now, but what do you all think? Would that seem like a interesting story? I'm slowly getting these ideas done, so hopefully that gets posted soon.
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:47 am

I'm liking idea #3 a lot. That's an interesting observation from Risky's Revenge itself, so there's a lot you can do with that. I can only imagine how it would end or begin, considering the zany occurrences you're already told about.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Axol The Axolotl Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:21 pm

ZombieWolf-Girl wrote:
(Idea #2)
Remember how Risky disguises herself as a guardian genie? She suggests this to Shantae, "Also, you should try cutting your hair short sometime! it would look awfully cute in a bob!"
That really got an idea running in my head for an alternative ending for Shantae... *evil laughs*
Don't worry, It'll grow back.
Axol The Axolotl
Axol The Axolotl
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:37 am

Don't worry, It'll grow back.
Hey, who said I was gonna cut it? .... lol just kidding, I was. Razz But you know Shantae, she won't be very happy when it's cut. Maybe even depressed. Thankfully, it'll have a happy ending. Although the ending of the game is going to be slightly altered.
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:23 pm

It's good to know you're still working on it. ^^ I don't usually dive much into fanfiction, but I'd be willing to read your works when you post them online.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:15 pm

.Luke wrote:It's good to know you're still working on it. ^^ I don't usually dive much into fanfiction, but I'd be willing to read your works when you post them online.
Yup, I'm still working on it. School's been slowing me down like crazy, but I was still working on it when I could. Thanks, I'm so glad you'd give it a shot! I'm sure you'd like the author's note in the beginning of the chapter then.
Here's the first chapter: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9883270/1/Rotten-friend-fresh-start
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Axol The Axolotl Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:11 am

That's actually pretty good.
Axol The Axolotl
Axol The Axolotl
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Yeah, Axol, that was a great surprise. Twisted Evil The whole thing felt very spot-on and believable for Rotty's motivations, something I always worry about most fan fictions screwing up. Even the little touches, like Risky idly checking her fingernails, were nice. Good luck with writing part two!

ZombieWolf-Girl wrote:Yup, I'm still working on it. School's been slowing me down like crazy, but I was still working on it when I could. Thanks, I'm so glad you'd give it a shot! I'm sure you'd like the author's note in the beginning of the chapter then.
Here's the first chapter: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9883270/1/Rotten-friend-fresh-start
As somebody who also enjoys writing, I feel it's very important to read the works of other writers, and provide feedback whenever possible, especially online where feedback is pretty skimpy. (People aren't as quick to read fiction, since that takes time, whereas with art you can take in all the details almost instantaneously.) As Stephen King once said, “If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”, and I firmly believe it.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:05 am

.Luke wrote:Yeah, Axol, that was a great surprise. :twisted:The whole thing felt very spot-on and believable for Rotty's motivations, something I always worry about most fan fictions screwing up. Even the little touches, like Risky idly checking her fingernails, were nice. Good luck with writing part two!

Glad you liked chapter one! I try my best to make sure the characters will act as naturally as they can. I'm also glad you noticed the tiny details as well. Here's part two https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9883270/2/Rotten-friend-fresh-start

.Luke wrote:
As somebody who also enjoys writing, I feel it's very important to read the works of other writers, and provide feedback whenever possible, especially online where feedback is pretty skimpy. (People aren't as quick to read fiction, since that takes time, whereas with art you can take in all the details almost instantaneously.) As Stephen King once said, “If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”, and I firmly believe it.
That's a really good belief you have. I tend to read fan fictions, and look at art like a ninja (not saying anything, but I'm there) but I always take the time to analyze what I'm reading, and why I do or don't like it.
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Mon May 26, 2014 8:29 pm

I'll be sure take a look at it later tonight! And it's great you enjoy analyzing written works. There aren't enough writers like that online, so it's no surprise when the more active writers in the community stand out the most.

Also, I think we could do with a Ninja Shantae smiley. Twisted Evil I might try making one later.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by ZombieWolf-Girl Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 am

.Luke wrote:I'll be sure take a look at it later tonight! And it's great you enjoy analyzing written works. There aren't enough writers like that online, so it's no surprise when the more active writers in the community stand out the most.

Also, I think we could do with a Ninja Shantae smiley. Twisted Evil I might try making one later.

It's been a while, but thanks; it's good to hear I'm doing something right. I'd love to hear your input after you read the second chapter Smile (hopefully you didn't explode into confetti after reading the last chapter, lol xD)

A ninja Shantae smiley? Sounds good. I really should draw something related to HGH, especially since I haven't done anything for the crunchyroll contest, or when the kickstarter campaign was still ongoing. My only regret! Procrastination in school is bad. Unfortunately, I'm not satisfied with drawing Shantae in my new art style yet....

And a new update: I'm working on fanfic #3. I never realized how hard it was to draw a dude. Oh, and he has a nose, unlike most of the male characters Twisted Evil I'll probably have his design on dA soon.
ZombieWolf-Girl
ZombieWolf-Girl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum