Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Shantae Ret-2-Go!" (Fan-Game Project!)

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"Shantae Ret-2-Go!" (Fan-Game Project!) - Page 2 Empty Re: "Shantae Ret-2-Go!" (Fan-Game Project!)

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:54 pm

It's about video game development.
What do you expect? Like, seriously!

In any case, I indeed have been wondering what has happened to this project.
Glad to see it is still alive. Extra Smile

Too bad that it seperated from our group, but at the same time it gives us more room to work for our own fan-game.

While I can get that working with IRL-in the same room is easier, does that mean that working on games with online friends it not good? Sad
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

"Shantae Ret-2-Go!" (Fan-Game Project!) - Page 2 Empty Re: "Shantae Ret-2-Go!" (Fan-Game Project!)

Post by .Luke Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Working with online friends can still work, if SRB2 is any good example here, but it is noticeably slower than being in the same room with teammates. Chatting through typed text isn't quite as fast as talking in person, with hand gestures, facial expressions, etc; the kinds of things we compensate for with text smilies in online chatter. Then there's also the perks of instantly sharing large project files between computers across a local network, and passing around sketches from desk to desk.

So yeah, much more streamlined IRL, but it's still possible online, especially if it's the only way to communicate with a team across different parts of the world. I mean, unless someone's forming their own brick-and-mortar studio, it's not like everybody on-board can fly to one place and work on a game for months at a time. What other choice is there? The Internet's certainly better than nothing.

Once again, Mike, good luck with producing the game with friends, and I hope it possibly opens the doors to all of you collaborating in the future on original projects as well. You guys have lots of fun working together as a team. ^^

Axol The Axolotl wrote:That's a lot of techno-babble.

Compared to actual GML scripts, or MMF2 source files, that was actually pretty simple stuff. Twisted Evil Although I guess that's still nearly a decade of serious experience with Game Maker talking.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeHarvey Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:24 am

Hey guys. I did a little soul searching and I realized that removing the game from the site to work on it locally was a mistake. I thought about it and decided to bring it back here. It's a fan project, and it should be made by fans. However the game has once again went through some major changes. So much so that I'll have to create another new topic. This isn't happening at the moment, but I do plan on doing it soonish.

As for the local team I was working with... well... real life stuff intervened and I won't be working with them. They just don't have the time to dedicate to the project like I hoped. So for those interested, it'll be a smoother working process, and we'll work little by little until its done. Best part is that most of the art and all the audio is complete, it just needs to be programed and tested.

One of the major problems I'm currently having is understanding how to program rhythm and circular path movement. What I need is to get things moving and triggering on whole beats, 3/4 beats, 1/2 beats, and 1/4 beats. Try as I might, I just don't understand how to code this. It crucial since everything happens on beat. But I'm getting ahead of myself... I'll be working on a PDF as a guide to make working on this game as smooth as possible. More to come later.

MikeHarvey
Contributor
Contributor

: Can tell East from West!

Back to top Go down

Post by Axol The Axolotl Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:47 am

When do we get to see a demo?
Axol The Axolotl
Axol The Axolotl
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

: Skin maker

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:25 am

Wow, I'm amazed you already have much of the visual and audio assets done, Mike. O: I don't have a registered GM 8.1 yet, but I'd be glad to help in any way I can code-wise. I've had more mind-numbing things than rhythms to deal with before. Try a level editor's GUI, from scratch, now that's a pain. Pouting

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out with your friends, though; if only you guys could have done more together. ;w; I hope we, and anyone else outside the community who'd volunteer, are able to help you get it moving on rails for a finished game.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Topic locked.

Continue in the new thread: https://tsfp.forumotion.org/t288-shantae-swing-n-sway
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2