Shantae Fans Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game...

+2
Maetch
Paragon-Yoshi
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game... - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game...

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 pm

I don't think a Bikini would be a problem.
I have seen Bikini's on kid-games a lot of times already.
So, it shouldn't be that much of a deal. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

http://vgjustice.forumieren.com/

Back to top Go down

Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game... - Page 2 Empty Re: Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game...

Post by Agent Gold Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Eh... Just because people use bikinis in kids' material doesn't automatically mean it's okay, and even if it is, not everyone automatically wants to see them at all times. If it's modest enough, it might be all right, but I'd still want a different option available. And absolutely DO NOT use the fanservicey bikini from the special ending from Risky's Revenge! ... Please don't?

It would be fun to see her in other characters' outfits, or maybe in some fan art outfits since WayForward does pay attention to that! Maybe she should have different colors than the original available? That would make it less strange if she were wearing Sky's outfit while talking to Sky, for instance.
Agent Gold
Agent Gold
Scuttle Town Regular
Scuttle Town Regular

: Self-Styled Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Agent Gold wrote:Eh... Just because people use bikinis in kids' material doesn't automatically mean it's okay, and even if it is, not everyone automatically wants to see them at all times. If it's modest enough, it might be all right, but I'd still want a different option available. And absolutely DO NOT use the fanservicey bikini from the special ending from Risky's Revenge! ... Please don't?

It would be fun to see her in other characters' outfits, or maybe in some fan art outfits since WayForward does pay attention to that! Maybe she should have different colors than the original available? That would make it less strange if she were wearing Sky's outfit while talking to Sky, for instance.

Alright, alright! I get it. She'll have the option of wearing Bolo's outfit instead.
BossFight
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

: DINE AND DITCH!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 pm

I don't get what people have against Bikini's, but whatever... oO

Anyway, I think we should move on to other subjects instead. ^^;
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:13 pm

A Bolo outfit for Shantae? A fighter's outfit similar to Bolo's would be neat, but using his clothes specifically would be considered drag, am I right? =P I just can't see the guys at WayForward doing that, IMO. xD

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:I don't think a Bikini would be a problem.
I have seen Bikini's on kid-games a lot of times already.
So, it shouldn't be that much of a deal. ;)

Care to name a few examples? I'm having a hard time thinking of any besides the awfully exposed Great Fairy in LoZ : Ocarina of Time and her pointy breasts! Hehe, that game did quite a few things that just wouldn't fly below a "Teen" rating nowadays. =P I'm not surprised the excessive blood stains in the Shadow Temple were removed in OoT's remake for the 3DS. xD

I dunno, Shantae was in a bikini during the end sequence of the first game, I think it might be passable as an alt costume if the designers are careful not to get too skimpy with the amount of cloth on either piece of the outfit. (The Angelus character in Open Arena is a good example of what not to do; not quite sure if I can get away with linking a screenshot of her here or not.) I mean, holy crap, Mileena's alt costume in Mortal Kombat 9 covered so little it was actually funny, but the devs could get away with it under the Mature rating just fine.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

: Site Bird Trainer

http://shantaefansportal.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 pm

No way in **** a Mortal Kombat game was below Mature. I can't believe it!

Anyway, if we're talking outfits, I don't see why not give her the option of changing to new obtained ones at her house or something. Some games recently have had the feature of changing costumes during the course of the game. I also want Shantae's house to be useful for once, and this would be a pretty good excuse. I can't be the only one interested in seeing what's in there.

I'd also like the Fighter abilities from the first game to return (with new ones), maybe by sparring with Bolo or something. I think the Elbow Dash/Twirl combo would be more useful in a 3D game as you'd have a better time coordinating it (and not taking a giant leap of faith like in the first game.)

BossFight
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:25 pm

Oops, I meant that Mortal Kombat fell just underneath the M rating without stepping into Adult-Only, and those types of games are never sold publicly in the states. The only MK game that could pass off as kid-friendly was the heavily-censored SNES version of MK1, (Not that Acclaim actually removed anything, just disabled the blood and fatalities, as rom hacks will tell you.) before Nintendo finally stopped censoring the crap out of games on their platform. Should have been more clear.

Anyway, I think the idea of putting Shantae's house to use is pretty interesting! I can just imagine visiting her wardrobe, and watching Shantae instantly switch out outfits in-front of a full-body mirror as you select them. xD Who wants to bet people would check if her toilet flushed or not! (Not really sure if Scuttle Town has plumbing or not.)
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:05 pm

But you know, if it did work like that, I wouldn't mind being able to get Alta and Patty's outfits from the Mighty series as a cameo.

What else could her house be used for? I guess restoring health by sleeping or bathing would be an obvious one.
BossFight
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Eheh, I've always admired the fine line Shantae treads between naughty and nice.
Just enough to appeal to all age groups while staying family-friendly.

That said, I agree that a sensible swimsuit wouldn't exactly cross this line,
so long as no additional 'physics' were involved.
Fun fact: there actually do exist E-rated volleyball games like Beach Spikers.

Personally, I think a Guppi costume would be xcellent,
even if I had to go to Square-Enix postgame lengths for it ; )
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

: Tinkerbat Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Eh, I dunno.
I think I just have a pretty liberal attitude, when it comes to clothing and skin. ^^;
(I still can't understand why people hate Bikini's so much though. And no, I am NOT a pervert. :/)

I do agree about Shantae's House.
Seriously, I've been dying to know what Shantae's home looks like.
It doesn't even have to have any special features. Some places are just there to admire their design.
I think it works perfectly. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Nothin' wrong with liking bikinis, really, the only doubts I'm having with it is whether or not a full-blown bikini is age appropriate for a 3D E-rated game; specifically the lower piece and all that rear exposure you'd get to gawk at in three dimensions with a rotatable camera, HURHURHUR. =P *bricked*

Nai255 wrote:That said, I agree that a sensible swimsuit wouldn't exactly cross this line,
so long as no additional 'physics' were involved.

Yeah, I know what you mean after playing Sonic Adventure 2 on my Dreamcast so many times. Rouge's stages were way more fun than Knuckles', but I have to admit, I liked them for way more than just the jazzy music and not-so-confusing layouts. 8^) Seriously though, I think she looks cool, but meh, the way her massive rack *mumblemuttersnickermumble* just didn't do anything for me. xD I mean, WayForward could get away with adding the 'physics', but I'd rather make eye contact with characters like I do with people IRL, instead of constantly staring down out of repulse, for lack of a better term; it just wouldn't look natural.

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:I do agree about Shantae's House.
Seriously, I've been dying to know what Shantae's home looks like.
It doesn't even have to have any special features. Some places are just there to admire their design.
I think it works perfectly. Wink

Hadn't thought about all the decorations and hidden easter eggs they could cram in there! Kinda reminds me of what RareWare did with Perfect Dark posters in Banjo Tooie! Imagine all the little things she could have collected? If I was any better at making backgrounds I'd seriously take a crack drawing the inside of Shantae's house. ^^
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:Eh, I dunno.
I think I just have a pretty liberal attitude, when it comes to clothing and skin. ^^;
(I still can't understand why people hate Bikini's so much though. And no, I am NOT a pervert. :/)

I honestly wouldn't mind the bikini either, especially if it's among others and is an option.
BossFight
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 pm

.Luke wrote:Nothin' wrong with liking bikinis, really, the only doubts I'm having with it is whether or not a full-blown bikini is age appropriate for a 3D E-rated game; specifically the lower piece and all that rear exposure you'd get to gawk at in three dimensions with a rotatable camera, HURHURHUR. =P *bricked*
Depends on how it's done. Wink

Hadn't thought about all the decorations and hidden easter eggs they could cram in there! Kinda reminds me of what RareWare did with Perfect Dark posters in Banjo Tooie! Imagine all the little things she could have collected?
Heh, nice thinking.
Maybe she is even a Mario-fangirl? Razz

If I was any better at making backgrounds I'd seriously take a crack drawing the inside of Shantae's house. ^^
Now that I'd to see. Wink

I honestly wouldn't mind the bikini either, especially if it's among others and is an option.
Like I said. I'd make it so that you can change it anytime you wish.
You don't have to stick to unwanted costumes. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:
You don't have to stick to unwanted costumes. Wink

Or do you? I could easily see a part in a Shantae game have her get attacked while doing her usual sun-bathing. Not that the bikini would be unwanted to me, but the distraction would definitely make the fight more challenging :O
BossFight
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:51 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think I'd have a hard time looking above the lower-half of the screen in a scenario like that too! WANT!!! :-D

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:Depends on how it's done. Wink

True, and I doubt a 3D Shantae game would have a camera system as flexible as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess had anyway. xD

Paragon-Yoshi wrote:Heh, nice thinking.
Maybe she is even a Mario-fangirl? Razz

I could actually see that happening; a quick plug for everyone's favorite plumber wouldn't hurt! Maybe a tattered poster, a framed portrait or some Mario relate merchandise? =P Or better yet, a great, big, Yoshi doll sitting somwhere on her bed, among other plushies. xD
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:21 am

True, and I doubt a 3D Shantae game would have a camera system as flexible as Wind Waker and Twilight Princess had anyway. xD
I think a camera system like in Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine should work for Shantae.
Either that, or stick to camera angles like in Super Mario 3D Land.

I could actually see that happening; a quick plug for everyone's favorite plumber wouldn't hurt! Maybe a tattered poster, a framed portrait or some Mario relate merchandise? =P Or better yet, a great, big, Yoshi doll sitting somwhere on her bed, among other plushies. xD
Lol, nice thinking.
Yoshi doll on the bed. NICE! Extra Smile
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Haha, I figured you would agree on the Yoshi doll, and he's already a well-used cameo in games like Link's Awakening, so you usually can't go wrong with inserting a Yoshi here and there. =P Everybody likes Yoshi!

Super Mario 3D Land used a railed camera? Wow, that's a huge change for a series with more flexible camera systems! Looking at the number of sold copies, they must have done it right, unlike some pesky little blue hedgehog who kept failing at that exactly until recently. xD
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, I seriously would like a Yoshi-cameo.
Though I doubt WayForward would be able use such cameo's. I think cameo's from other WayForward games would have a higher chance.
But if WayForward would somehow get permission from Nintendo, that'd be great. Extra Smile

But I guess we're focusing too much on cameo's now. ^^;

So, should be come back to Gameplay, Design, Style and stuff?
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 am

Yeah, Shantae seems like the kind of game that's suited more for 2D than 3D, but that's just me.
I thought the 2D graphics combined with 3D background area transitions in Risky's Revenge
worked pretty well, and wouldn't mind seeing something similar in the next game used to a greater extent
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:37 am

Nah, I think 3D should work for her as well.
It's at least worth a try, if you ask me.

And if it plays out similar to the example "Mystical Ninja" that I posted in the first post, I think nothing can go wrong. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Well, something can always go wrong. And if something went wrong with her transition to 3D, we could kiss the series good bye, because people would not give any other game in the series a chance if the first entry they played was a bust.

But this is WayForward, and they don't disappoint, so I've got no worries about that.
BossFight
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Nai255 Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:56 am

Ah sorry. Because of my bad habit to train my mind on the negative before the positive, the Goemon example made me think of a 3D Shantae with various clipping bugs and gameplay imbalances, eheh. Looking past it's flaws, it was still a fun game with a lot of style, and I could see a similar engine suiting Shantae well in 3D, madcap zaniness and all.

I'm starting to recall a developer interview that mentioned them experimenting with Shantae in 3D, and that they weren't completely satisfied with how things looked in comparison to the 2D being tested for the GBA. (I think...)
Ya don't see too many purely 3D games from WayForward, actually... Lit's the only one I can really think of that is mainly in 3D, but I thought it seemed decent there considering WiiWare limitations.

But whether a game's in 2D, 3D, or HD, it doesn't matter to me too much so long as the game itself is enjoyable... and I can see what my character's doing, eheh.

Also just because, here's some fan-made 3D models to consider:
Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game... - Page 2 Shantae_brawl_mod_release_by_shin_kitaro-d4q6rxj
Thinking about a 3D-Shantae game... - Page 2 Shantae_by_laperen-d4fdqtk
Nai255
Nai255
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by .Luke Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Dang, that first model is a little low-poly, but doesn't look half bad if you ask me! The texturing might look a bit smoother too if the shot was taken at a better resolution. Who created it, by the way?

Anyway, it's a good point; a 3D Shantae could be a longshot with those odds. I'll always sooner expect 2D iterations before 3D either way, but that does dash my hopes a little.
.Luke
.Luke
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragon-Yoshi Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:00 am

I still don't see how a 3D Shantae game wouldn't work out. :/
It's all a matter of how it's done.

And as for Mystical Ninja: Honestly, during the one time I played it, I never experienced any glitches.
So I don't think it's a "game full of glitches". But that's just a side note. Wink
Paragon-Yoshi
Paragon-Yoshi
Retired Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by BossFight Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:49 pm

A 3D Shantae done right would definitely work out, and I'm sure WayForward would do it right.

Only thing is a 3D game would take more time and effort to complete, and I'm not sure when they would have the ability to do that.
BossFight
BossFight
Hailing from Water Town
Hailing from Water Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2